Gordon College logo

Residence Life Policies

Residence Life

Gordon College Residence Life is an integral part of the total college life experience. Residence halls provide a community living and learning experience, which allows students to integrate biblical principles with daily living as they interact with peers. The residence hall experience is designed to enhance and complement the classroom in promoting the growth and development of each student at Gordon.

Residence Hall Staff

The residence hall staff plays an important part in Gordon’s effort to offer supportive living environments. Each residence hall has a resident director and resident advisors.


The resident director (RD) is a professional staff member responsible for the overall administration of the residence hall. Available for counseling, leadership training, college-life information, crisis intervention and other residence hall needs, resident directors also provide the structure and limits necessary to maintain a healthy community life.


Resident advisors (RAs) and apartment/area coordinators (ACs) are Gordon students who are selected for their leadership and maturity. The RA/AC’s primary responsibilities are to be available to students and to assist the resident director in cultivating an environment that will help students grow in understanding, experience community and serve faithfully.


Throughout the semester resident students may desire services and equipment best provided through the residence hall staff. To provide for various hall needs, a residence fee of $15 is assessed to each resident per semester. These fees go into a fund that is administered by the residence hall staff. Ten dollars per resident is used for floor and hall activities. The remaining $5 is placed in a contingency fund to pay for hall common-area damages for which a responsible person cannot be identified. Money remaining in this contingency fund at the end of each semester is used for the benefit of the residence life program or to purchase items to upgrade the hall.


Students may be fined for behavior that is judged to be disruptive to or inconsiderate of others in the community. The sanction of a fine is a disciplinary response to the behavior, and fine receipts are placed in the residence hall account for use in programming for all residents of the hall. Fines are separate from making restitution for direct damages.


Students are liable for damages to College property. Damages should be reported to a residence life staff member immediately so repairs may be made. The repair costs for any damages in a student room will be shared by the occupants of that room unless an individual or individuals assume responsibility for the repairs. 

Damages occurring in other areas for which a responsible person cannot be determined may be billed to the hall account (see above). If this account is exhausted, damages will be billed in the following manner: (1) those within a specific floor will be billed equally to all residents of that floor; (2) those occurring in public areas such as lobbies and lounges will be billed equally to all residents of that hall.

Housing Options


Students who are married, 23 years of age or older, living with relatives or have part-time status are normally allowed to live off-campus after they apply and are approved. All other students are required to live on campus unless granted special permission by the Director of Housing. No student should commit to a lease before being approved. Gordon College is not responsible for leases signed or money paid before being approved by the Director of Housing. Students approved to live off-campus will receive a financial aid reduction in line with the terms of their financial aid agreement. Students choosing to live off-campus without approval will receive the standard reduction plus an additional amount.

Off-campus students are expected to comply with all aspects of the Gordon College Life and Conduct Statement and are never permitted to live unmarried with a member of the opposite gender.


Apartment and Upperclassmen Housing

The following provisions apply to the Bromley and Tavilla Hall apartment units and The Village:

  • Only juniors, seniors or students at least 20 years of age (by September 1) may be residents of an apartment. 
  • All expectations regarding on-campus behavior will apply to the apartment buildings, including provisions regarding alcoholic beverages, dances and tobacco products.
  • Normal disciplinary procedures will be utilized when behavioral expectations are violated by residents. Anyone violating those expectations may be required to move from the apartment building. 
  • There will be a thorough inspection of each apartment at least once a year with appropriate follow-up by Physical Plant and the Office of Student Life. Costs of cleaning or repairs necessitated by excessive wear and tear will be charged to the occupants.
  • Apartment residents who follow normal semester-break housing guidelines may petition to stay in their apartments during semester breaks if their particular apartment building is being kept open. Apartment residents are expected to cooperate with the need to house other students in their apartments during Christmas break. Village residents may not petition to stay in their rooms during semester breaks.
  • When a resident moves out of an apartment, students may be assigned to empty spaces at the discretion of the Office of Student Life. 

Non-Apartment Housing

The following provisions apply to the non-apartment residence halls:

  • Behavior: All expectations regarding on-campus behavior as enumerated in this handbook will apply to the non-apartment halls and their residents. Violations of these expectations will result in normal disciplinary action and may include loss of housing privileges. 
  • Common Areas: The lounge, lobby and laundry areas are common areas, open to any member of the residence on a 24-hour basis (unless members of the hall voluntarily decide to impose specific restrictions). Because these are public areas, it is expected that students will conduct themselves with respect for others. 
  • Living Areas: Except during visitation hours residents and non-residents are not to be in the wings, floors or stairways of the opposite gender.


All students are required to leave the residence halls during winter and spring breaks unless they have extenuating circumstances (e.g., travel hardship, participation in Gordon athletic events, student teaching). Students may apply to stay on campus in the designated residence hall. Students who are not required to stay on campus during break will be charged a daily fee. On the Sunday following commencement, all students are required to leave the residence halls and either vacate the campus or move into the designated summer housing residence hall. Housing during the summer is available for a limited number of current students and is available by application only. With the exception of those completing their student teaching requirement, all summer residents are charged a weekly rate for housing.


Guests may stay overnight in the residence hall when the college is in session. The appropriate resident advisor must be notified of guest name(s) and date(s) of stay. Guests using residents’ rooms must have the permission of the residents whose beds they use. Under no circumstances may guests sleep in hall common areas. Guests may stay a maximum of three consecutive nights on campus and may do so no more than twice each month. Guests are under the same residence hall and campus policies as residents. Hosts are responsible for the actions of guests. A guest failing to comply with regulations will be asked to leave the campus.

Housing Procedures


Resident students must be full-time registered students at Gordon College. Any exceptions must be approved by the Dean of Student Life and/or the Vice President for Student Life. The College reserves the right to make room and roommate assignments while allowing students as much freedom of choice in this matter as possible. Prospective roommates are not subject to any preconditions or approval that would deny them access to any room. The college also reserves the right to change room assignments or terminate a housing contract whenever this seems to be in the best interest of the community. Please refer to the room costs webpage for information about billing rates for different room categories.


The residence halls will be open for occupancy when the college is in session. Opening dates are posted in the academic calendar. Students requesting access to their rooms before official residence hall opening dates may petition the Office of Student Life for permission to arrive early. Students who arrive earlier than the opening dates without prior permission will be charged $30 per night.

Students should vacate their rooms within 24 hours of their last exam at the end of the fall semester and check out of their rooms within 24 hours of their last exam at the end of the academic year.


When checking into a residence hall at the beginning of the year, each returning student should go to the mailroom, where they will find their ID card and, if applicable, residence hall/room keys in their mailbox. (First-year students will be issued their ID card and keys during Orientation check-in at their residence hall.) The student will also complete an RCI (Room Condition Inventory).


Any student wishing to change their room assignment must first gain the approval of their resident director. Gordon’s residence philosophy considers alterations of living arrangements during the year counterproductive to the development of the residence community. Every effort will be made to resolve any conflicts or issues between students and their roommates and neighbors before a room change will be approved. As a last resort, and at the consideration of all involved, approval to leave the current room may be granted by the resident director. Room change request procedures will be outlined by resident directors. Final approval for any room change must be granted by the Director of Housing.


Each student must check out, in person, with the appropriate staff member in the event of a room change or withdrawal as well as at the end of the year. Unless specifically excused from any of these steps by the resident director, the student should schedule a time to inventory the condition of the room; sign the checkout form in the appropriate manner; return the key(s); and vacate the room. Students not following this procedure will be assessed a $30 fine. Students will be held responsible for any damages or custodial requirements not reported on the RCI during the check-in procedure.


Students are expected to carry keys or key cards for their halls and rooms with them when they leave their rooms. A resident advisor/apartment coordinator should be available in emergencies to open the door of a student who is locked out of their room. If a student is locked out of a residence hall overnight, they should contact Gordon Police. 

If a student loses their room or hall key during the semester, they must notify the resident director immediately. CTS will assess a $15 fee for reprinting a lost key card. The resident director will assess a fee of $25 for a new room (physical) key and $50 for a new hall (physical) key; replacement of both keys is mandatory. Any student found with an unauthorized or duplicated key will be subject to a fine of $100 and disciplinary action.

Fall Housing Selection

In order to participate in any aspect of the fall housing selection process, students are required to register as full-time for the fall semester and pay a housing deposit. Students studying abroad in the fall are not eligible to participate in the process. If a particular step of the housing process takes place before a student’s registration period has ended, the requirement to be registered as a full-time student may be waived. Applications submitted after deadlines will either not be accepted or will be subject to late fees, depending on the step of the process.

The housing selection process consists of five steps: (1) off-campus applications, (2) special accommodations applications, (3) apartment/The Village applications, (4) room reservations and (5) the housing lottery. Dates are subject to change. Final dates will be communicated via email.

Off-Campus Applications (February 19–26, Notification by March 6)

All students wishing to commute for the 2024–2025 academic year must submit an application during the application period. For off-campus approval, students must meet at least one of the four following requirements:

  • Living with relatives
  • 23+ years of age
  • Part-time student status
  • Married

Any applications from students not meeting one of the four requirements will be considered through an appeals process. Appeals will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Students failing to submit an application during this period will have another opportunity to do so beginning May 6 (see below).

Special Accommodations Applications (March 1–15, Notification by March 21)

Any student seeking a special accommodation (e.g., single room, ADA-compliant room, apartment due to dietary restrictions) must submit an application during this step of the housing process.

Apartment/The Village Applications (March 29–April 5, Notifications by April 12)

Groups of students interested in living in Bromley, Tavilla or The Village must submit a group application. In order to be eligible students must be 20 years of age or older by September 1, 2024, or have a minimum junior academic standing for the fall 2024 semester. The selection process consists of a point system, with points added/subtracted as follows:

Current First-Year: 1 point
Current Sophomore: 2 points
Current Junior: 3 points
Current Senior: 4 points
23+ Years of Age: +1 point
Full-Time, Off-Campus Program Credit (e.g., student teaching): +1 point

*Students on disciplinary probation at any point during the 2023–2024 academic year are not eligible to apply for apartments unless approved by the Dean of Student Life.

Room Reservation (April 22)

Students living in Chase, Evans, Ferrin, Fulton, Nyland and Wilson will be able to submit a request to reserve their rooms for the 2024-2025 academic year. Requests will be granted based on seniority (credits earned) and room availability. Resident Directors will communicate times and locations specific to each residence hall.

Housing Lottery (April 25)

All registered students who have not secured housing during the first three steps of the process may participate in the housing lottery in order to secure housing for Fall 2024. The lottery will be conducted in person on April 25. The lottery will be held in MacDonald 131 for women and MacDonald 211 for men on the following schedule: 

Current Seniors (86 credits and above completed): 9:15pm
Current Juniors (56-85 credits completed): 9:30pm
Current Sophomores (27-55 credits completed): 9:45pm
Current First-Year (0-26 credits completed): 10:10pm

If preferences are not available during the lottery period, students will be placed on a waiting list and housed in July.

Spring Housing Selection

Students studying abroad or scheduled to return from leaves of absence will be sent a questionnaire via email on which they can indicate their spring semester housing plans. 

Residence Hall Facilities

All residence halls are equipped with a kitchen for the use of residents within that hall. It is the residents’ responsibility to keep the kitchen clean and to respect the property of others (e.g., food, utensils). Kitchens may be closed off or fines levied if respectful use is not demonstrated.


Washers and dryers are available in the residence halls for resident student use. Vending machines are also available in most residence halls. Please notify your resident advisor or apartment coordinator if there is a problem with a laundry machine. They will contact Physical Plant and submit a work request. Problems with vending machines or the need for a refund of money lost in the vending machines should be reported to the Business Development and Scheduling Department, ext. 4288.


Students are expected to adhere to the rules and regulations of the campus waste recycling policy. Students consistently disregarding recycling efforts or found disposing of trash inappropriately will be fined and/or face disciplinary action.


Each residence hall has space available for storage during the school year, between semesters and during summer recess. During vacation periods and for the length of the summer recess, each resident of a hall is able to keep two items clearly labeled with name and cell phone number in the designated storage area as long as space remains. (An ‘item’ is defined as a plastic bin, cardboard box, suitcase, mini-fridge, etc.) For storage over the summer recess, students can store their two items in the residence hall in which they will live for the fall semester.

  • Students who live in the U.S. but outside of New England are allowed to store three items total.
  • International students are allowed to store four items total.

Study Abroad Storage: Students who have been approved to study at an off-campus program through the Global Education Office (GEO) may store two items in Chase Hall’s designated Study Abroad Storage Room.

  • Students who live in the U.S. but outside of New England are allowed to store three items total.
  • International students are allowed to store four items total.

Students who leave more items in hall storage or study abroad storage than permitted by the guidelines above will be charged a monthly storage fee based on current local storage unit rates.

Bicycle Use and Storage:

All bicycles on campus must be registered with the Gordon Police and display a registration sticker (for which there is no charge). The sticker is valid for the entire time the owner is enrolled or employed by the college. When a bike is sold or given to another community member, the registered owner should notify Gordon Police so the bike record can be updated. Stickers may be requested online using the Bike Registration Form on the GO site.

If a bicycle is left outdoors, it must be stored on a bike rack (located near most campus buildings). If the rack is full the bike must be stored next to the rack and not on a walkway or road. If there is no rack near a building, the bike may be stored in a safe area near the building but not on or blocking any walkway, road, patio or entryway (this is especially important to ensure safe access for all members of our community). To prevent theft bicycles should be locked when left unattended.

Indoor storage is limited and not guaranteed for all bicycles. Indoor bike storage is available on a first-come, first-served basis in designated bicycle storage rooms (inside Chase, Fulton, Ferrin, Grace and Nyland Halls).

Bicycles may not be kept in student rooms or anywhere else in residence halls (with the exception of designated bike storage rooms). In addition, bikes may not be parked or stored inside campus academic or administrative buildings. Bicycles may not be stored in entryways, hallways or stairwells or on walkways or patios in front of any campus buildings.

Improperly parked or unregistered bicycles may be confiscated and the owners fined (a $15 confiscation fee). If a locked bike is subject to confiscation for any valid reason, the lock may be cut to facilitate confiscation; the college will not be responsible for the replacement of the lock. Confiscated bicycles not claimed within 30 days may be charged an additional $15 storage fee each month until the bike is claimed. Unclaimed bikes may be donated to charity or disposed of after 90 days and at the end of each semester.

The college does not guarantee indoor storage space for all bicycles. Students should weigh the necessity for having a bicycle and the frequency of use when deciding whether to bring one to campus.

Summer Bike Storage: Unless the owner is a summer campus resident, bikes must be removed from campus or stored in an indoor bike room (space permitting) during the summer recess. Students who are away from campus for the summer may not leave bikes on outdoor bike racks or anywhere else outdoors on campus. Indoor summer bike storage is not guaranteed and is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Bikes left outdoors on campus (unless the owner is a summer campus resident) are subject to confiscation and related fees.

Financial Liability: The College assumes no responsibility and does not provide insurance or any other financial protection for the personal property stored by students. It is recommended that students obtain insurance protection against loss, damage or theft of personal property.


College equipment, furniture or plants must not be dismantled, removed from the building or moved from one room to another without authorization. Equipment attached to the walls must not be removed by students. A fine of at least $25 will be levied against individuals who remove such items without permission.

Community Guidelines


To maintain the security of the buildings, each hall is locked 24 hours per day. Nonresidents must leave the building at the end of visitation hours unless escorted by a resident of the hall.


Students are never permitted to be on a campus building roof or to climb the exterior of a campus building (unless such access is work-related and by the explicit permission of the Physical Plant Department). Students found to have violated this policy are subject to a $100 fine for the first offense and a $250 fine for subsequent offenses. This policy is strictly enforced.


The lobby and lounge will be available to nonresident students on an escort basis only. Nonresidents will be allowed to enter and/or remain in the lobby or lounge only while they are guests of and in the presence of a resident of the hall. Students are reminded that lobbies and lounges are public areas. It is assumed that students will conduct themselves with discretion and respect for the rights of others.

Students or their guests are never permitted to sleep in common areas.


Visitation hours provide resident students opportunities for informal social interaction and interpersonal growth within the context of the residence hall atmosphere. Visitation hours are not intended to provide complete privacy.

As always, but particularly during visitation hours, it is expected that students will conduct themselves with discretion and a respect for the rights of others. They must be sensitive to community standards of good taste and decency.

Underclassmen Housing Visitation Hours
Sunday-Thursday: 1 p.m.–10 p.m.
Friday-Saturday: 1 p.m.–midnight

Upperclassmen Housing Visitation Hours
Sunday-Thursday: 11 a.m.–11 p.m.
Friday-Saturday: 10 a.m.–midnight

The resident director or an appointed RA or AC is responsible for the supervision of visitation hours. Visitation hours are not intended to provide complete privacy. Therefore, to maintain a suitable environment during visitation hours, doors must remain fully open and lights left on while entertaining guests and excessive or offensive displays of affection are not acceptable. Except during visitation hours, individuals are not to enter the stairwell or living areas of the opposite gender in residence halls without prior, explicit permission of the resident director or RA.

Violations of the Visitation Policy may result in a loss of visitation privileges, fines, community service hours or another sanction determined by the resident director and Director of Residence Life.


All residents are required to refrain from causing any disturbing sound or disruption. A disturbing sound is defined as that which interferes with study, sleep, or any other legitimate educational/residential activity, regardless of the time. This requires residents to be considerate of one another 24 hours a day and especially from 11 p.m. to 9 a.m. (designated quiet hours). Residents are encouraged to confront one another when their rights to study or sleep are being violated and to respect the residence life staff in their discretionary enforcement of the policy.

Campus-wide 24-hour quiet hours are in effect during final exam weeks. It is expected that all residents will especially respect the rights of others to study and sleep during these times.


According to federal law, no individual or group may publicly show a film that is copyrighted unless the appropriate royalty fees have been paid. Videos that have been rented from local establishments or purchased are covered by this law. Individual students may rent and show video movies to a small group of relatives or friends in the privacy of a residence hall room or lounge. The showing may not be publicly advertised nor open to the public.

The use of small practice musical amplifiers is permitted in the residence hall if used within the quiet hours/courtesy hours guidelines. Large amplifiers are permitted only for special events with approval of the resident director. At the discretion of the resident director, stereo/TV/DVD/musical instruments or equipment privileges will be rescinded temporarily for those students who consistently disregard the requests of others to turn down such equipment, or for students found broadcasting music or sound out of windows, from patios, etc., or for students who broadcast lyrics of a morally offensive nature. If audio abuse remains a pattern, this equipment may be removed at the discretion of the resident director for a specified period of time.


Any prank must be respectful and courteous, and adhere to the following guidelines:

  • It must not be in violation of any local ordinance, College behavioral standard, or community guideline (e.g., visitation, quiet hours).
  • It must not jeopardize anyone’s health or safety.
  • Destruction or unauthorized use of property is never permitted.

Consequences may be assessed for inappropriate pranks and/or damages.


The College reserves the right to limit the quantity and types of items displayed in or on room windows so as to maintain the attractive appearance of the building.

Screens are not to be removed from residence hall windows. Under no circumstances are the fasteners to be broken, bent, or removed. Student(s) in a room where a screen has been removed will be charged $25 each, plus damages if appropriate.

Under no circumstances are windows to be used for entering or leaving the residence hall or for transferring items in or out of the residence hall. A minimum $25 fine will be assessed.


Anyone involved in throwing or spraying water, snow, shaving cream, etc., into, out of, at, or within a residence hall may be fined, will be held responsible for any damages or custodial problems and may face disciplinary action for jeopardizing the safety and welfare of the community.


Sports in the residence hall are not permitted. Recreational facilities are available elsewhere. Students participating in any sports in the hall without the direct approval of the resident director for special events may be fined, will be held responsible for any damages or custodial problems, and may face disciplinary action for jeopardizing the safety and welfare of the community.

Room Policies


The College reserves the right to have authorized personnel enter any unit for the purposes of periodic inspection, repair, or when there is reason to believe that the health and safety of residents is in jeopardy. A College staff member may also search a student’s room, accompanied by a staff member from The Office of Student Life when there is reasonable cause to believe that College regulations are being violated.


Students are responsible for minimum standards of cleanliness in their rooms. Items Vacuum cleaners are available in each residence hall for use by students.


During the first two weeks of each semester, residence life staff will conduct inspections of student rooms to ensure compliance with the following guidelines. During room inspections, residence life staff will warn any students in violation of these guidelines and will give the student(s) a deadline for correcting the violation. After the room inspection period, Residence Life staff will assess a $25 fine for any violations noted in a student room during the course of the semester and will ask the student(s) to correct the violation. Failure to correct the violation as requested may result in additional fines.

Room Arrangement
All of the following practices/items are prohibited:

  • Covering fire alarms, fire alarm strobes, detectors, extinguishers, electrical outlets, electrical panels, room lights, etc.;
  • Hanging items using command strips (without staff approval) or tape. Sticky tack, small finish nails (max 4d size) and push pins/thumbtacks are allowed;
  • Hanging items across or above windows or doors;
  • Hanging items on room doors;
  • Hanging items from ceilings, smoke detectors, sprinkler pipes or sprinkler heads (keep all items at least 18 inches from the sprinkler head);
  • Arranging any room furniture or decorations that limits easy access into and out of the room;
    • There should be a clear path into the room as wide as the doorway.
    • All doors must be able to fully open.
    • Doorways, hallways and stairwells must be kept clear of items (including shoes, backpacks, skateboards, etc.).
    • Rugs are only permitted so long as they are not so thick/pilled as to constitute a tripping hazard.
  • Using tapestry, flags or fabric in any way to divide the room or cover windows or doors.

All furnishings, futons and decorations must meet proper fire codes and flame-resistance standards. Students must prove through attached fire code tags that a particular furnishing complies with the required fire code. Falsifying fire code tags on upholstered furniture, futons, or any decoration is cause for disciplinary action.

Personal furniture items (including desk chairs) are only permitted with an attached tag showing compliance with:

  • California Technical Bulletin 117 (halls with sprinklers); or
  • California Technical Bulletin 133 (halls without sprinklers).

Futons with heavy wood or metal frame construction are only permitted with an attached tag showing compliance with one of the following codes:

  • California Technical Bulletin 117;
  • California Technical Bulletin 129;
  • California Technical Bulletin 133;
  • California Technical Bulletin 603;
  • BFD 1x-11;
  • Canada/ULC-S137;
  • DOC FF4-72.

Furniture made of bamboo or rattan is not permitted in any residence hall.

Hallway, room door or room wall decorations must not exceed:

  • 50% of the surface area in halls with sprinklers; or,
  • 10% of the surface area in halls without sprinklers.

Fabric/tapestry used as a room decoration must be listed as "fire retardant" in an attached label.

  • Flags must be smaller than 2’ by 3’ or must be listed as "fire-retardant".

The following items are forbidden:

  • Paper lampshades;
  • Decorations made from dried plant matter or from evergreens (e.g., Christmas trees, wreaths, etc.);
  • Candles (burnt), incense, aerosol diffusers, or other combustible items. No candle may have a burnt wick, any violation will result in a $100 fine and possible disciplinary action

Electrical Items
Lighting accessories are subject to the following guidelines.

  • All lamps must use only LED bulbs (including rock salt lamps).
  • All non-LED bulbs will be confiscated upon discovery by college staff.
  • No multi-headed lamps are permitted.
  • No salt lamps are permitted.
  • Rope-style lights and LED light strips are permitted. These lights may only be hung around the perimeter of the room, and not above or across doorways or windows.
  • Traditional Christmas lights (and wall-powered LED light strings) are not permitted.
  • Battery-powered LED light strings ("fairy lights") are permitted.

Extension cords must be UL-listed or ETL-listed and constructed of 14 or 12-gauge wire (16-gauge or smaller not permitted).

  • Multi-outlet extensions cords are not permitted.
  • All improper extension cords will be confiscated upon discovery by college staff.

Power strips must be UL-listed or ETL-listed and circuit-protected and have a physical on/off switch.

  • All improper power strips will be confiscated upon discovery by college staff.

Extension cords, phone cords and computer cables may not be run through bedding, rugs, and textiles; run through doorways; or strung across floors, ceilings or windows — they may only be used along the perimeter of the room.

In student rooms, appliances such as hair dryers, steam irons, coffeepots, etc., must bear the American UL/ETL or Canadian SA Underwriter’s Laboratory seal of approval.

  • Coffeemakers and water heaters must have an automatic shut-off feature.
  • Refrigerators (3.6 cubic ft or smaller) must be plugged directly into the wall (or an appliance grade extension cord). Refrigerators must have a minimum of 2 inches of space on all sides of the unit and must be placed in a way that allows clear access to the unit (cannot be covered by a blanket, bedding, or other items).
  • Space heaters or heating fans are prohibited unless supplied by the College.
  • Open-coiled appliances, hot plates, hot pots, toasters, toaster ovens, or microwaves are prohibited (except in apartment kitchens).
    • All appliances in apartments must be plugged directly into the wall (or an appliance grade extension cord).
  • Hair straighteners, curling irons, and blow dryers must be unplugged when not in use.
  • Laptops and electronic devices should not be left directly on bedding.
  • Portable or window air conditioners are prohibited.


Any aquarium must be 20 gallons or smaller and must be supported by its own stand, containing only fish or turtles.

These items/practices are never allowed in residence hall rooms.

  • Waterbeds;
  • Decorations (posters, etc.) that encourage or support the violation of Gordon College’s Life and Conduct statement (e.g., lust, abuse of alcohol, etc.);
  • Alcoholic beverage containers or advertisements;
  • Using items that penetrate the ceiling (nails, tacks, plant hooks, etc.) or removal of ceiling tiles;
  • Weapons – firearms, ammunition, pellet guns, hunting or target bows, paintball guns, airsoft guns, double-edged knives, and metal swords (Massachusetts General Law, chapter 269, section 10).


The preparation or cooking of food is not permitted in student rooms. In order to guard against insects, any food such as cookies, crackers, etc., should be kept in sealed hard plastic, metal, or glass containers.


Resident students are not permitted to have pets in residence halls. Exception: goldfish and tropical fish or aquatic turtles in an aquarium are permitted with the agreement of roommates. Aquariums are limited in size to under 20 gallons and should have their own stands.

On Campus Emergency Calls and 911

If you require emergency assistance on campus:

  • Dial ext. 3333 from any campus phone;
  • Dial 978.867.3333 from your cell phone.

NOTE: If you dial 911 (from a campus phone or your cell phone when on campus) you will be connected with the regional 911 emergency center who will then dispatch the Wenham Police, Fire Department or Ambulance as needed. For the fastest response, contact Gordon Police directly as indicated above.

Connect with Gordon