Gordon College logo

FAQ: Residents & Commuters

When will new students receive their housing assignments?
Housing assignments for Fall 2024 will be sent via email by July 1.

Can I request a roommate?
Yes. Simply write their name in the requested roommate space on your Housing Questionnaire and have them do the same. Please note that in order for your preference to be honored, both roommates must request each other.

Can I request a specific residence hall?
You may request a specific hall, but there is not a guarantee you will receive your preference. Preferences are honored based on deposit date and available space.

I am a new transfer student. How will I be assigned to housing?
You will be placed in housing with either another new transfer or a returning student. Transfers are not assigned first-year roommates unless they specifically request it or if no other spaces are available. If you will be either a junior or 20 years old by September 1 of the current academic year and would like to live in an apartment on campus, please note that on your Housing Questionnaire.

What should I bring to decorate my room?
You can see a list of what to bring (and what not to bring) here

Where can I find out my room's specifications, like size and storage?
Room specs are listed on each hall's page. You can find them at www.gordon.edu/residencehalls 



Can I reserve my room from year to year?
Yes. Students can request to reserve their rooms, and those requests will be granted based on seniority (credits earned) and room availability.

During the lottery, can I sign up for a room if I do not have a roommate?
Yes. You may sign up on your own for any available space. Please note that any empty spaces may be filled at the discretion of Student Life. 


How do we apply if friends are away on off-campus programs this semester?
Simply include their names on the apartment application.

How are apartments awarded?
Apartments are awarded in order of point total for each type of apartment (4-person, 6-person, etc.). Points are determined by age as of September 1, 2024, and current class standing. Each individual on an application will be given points using the following scale:
Current First-year: 1 point
Current Sophomore: 2 points
Current Junior: 3 points
Current Senior: 4 points
23+ Years of Age: +1 point
Full-Time, Off-Campus Program Credit (e.g., student teaching): +1 point

How many points do we need to get an apartment?
It's all relative—there is no "magical number" of points that will guarantee you an apartment. Every year the number of points needed is different because the groups applying are different. In general, the more upperclassmen you have on your application, the better your chances of qualifying. Over the past several years it has been very difficult for an application with all current sophomores to qualify. If this is true of your group, you can still apply but should be thinking of your other options as well.

What housing choices do I have if I don't get an apartment?
Students not receiving an apartment will be able to secure housing by participating in the housing lottery.

We don't have a whole group for an application. Can we leave spaces open and request that transfer or consortium students be placed with us?
No. Applications must be complete (6 people for a 6-person apartment, 4 for a 4-person). Please note that each application must have the correct number of people for the fall semester. This means that students who will be off-campus during the fall semester (e.g., study abroad programs) cannot be part of a qualifying housing application.


Can I live off-campus?
Gordon College requires all full-time students to live on campus. We do realize that living on campus is not possible for all students due to various life circumstances. To address these specific needs students who are 23 or older, married, living with relatives or part-time qualify to be commuters. These students must submit an application to the Office of Student Life each year that they intend to live off-campus. No student should commit to a lease before being approved to live off-campus. Gordon College is not responsible for leases signed or money paid before being approved. Once approved to live off-campus students may not participate in any other part of the housing process. Choosing to live off-campus will result in a reduction in financial aid as outlined in one's financial aid agreement.

What if I do not qualify to live off-campus?
If you do not qualify to live off-campus, you will need to find housing on campus. We will review cases of significant hardship on a case-by-case basis. If you think you need to live off-campus due to a significant hardship, you can indicate that by completing the off-campus housing application.

Choosing to live off-campus without approval will result in the standard reduction of financial aid plus an additional amount.

Do I have to know exactly where I will be living off-campus?
No. If you are approved you will be required to submit your off-campus address to Student Life by the second Friday in September.

If I am applying to live off-campus, do I need to pay a housing deposit?
If you do not qualify to live off-campus you are required to pay a housing deposit so that you will be eligible for on-campus housing. If your case of hardship is considered extraordinary and you are approved to live off-campus, your housing deposit will be refunded. 

Connect with Gordon