Gordon College logo

Incoming Student Information

Congratulations on your decision to come to Gordon College! We're excited to welcome you and your family into our community. There are many details to coordinate as you prepare for your arrival, so we hope these resources are helpful as you gather your health records and pack. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the services the Health Center provides, as well as the additional ways you can care for yourself once you're on campus. If you have any questions throughout the process, don't hesitate to

In this section, you'll find information on:

The completed medical questionnaire is required of all Gordon College students, by August 1st. It should be mailed to:

Gordon College
255 Grapevine Road
Wenham, MA 01984-1899

PLEASE NOTE: Registration for classes will NOT be allowed until complete medical information is providedPlease save a copy of the completed Medical Questionnaire for your future reference.

This information is confidential and will not be released to anyone without your knowledge and consent.

Please answer questions in Sections I and II before going to your physician for examination. Your physical examination must be within one year of the date that you enter Gordon College; except for competitive athletes who need a physical within 6 months, per NCAA Division III regulations.

Massachusetts State law requires all college students to show satisfactory proof of immunizations, and they must be completed prior to arrival on campus. Review the Immunization Information for a complete list of what records are required. Additionally, please review the school policies regarding medications that considered controllable substances.


Massachusetts Law requires that all students enrolled in at least 3/4 course load (or more) must either provide proof of enrollment in a medical insurance plan that meets the Commonwealth mandated guidelines or be automatically enrolled in a university-sponsored plan. Therefore, if you are a full-time or three-quarter time matriculating undergraduate or graduate student for the 2017-2018 Academic Year at Gordon College, you are required to have sufficient health insurance coverage while in attendance at the College. 

To meet the requirements of Massachusetts law, Gordon College provides an insurance plan to its students. The student health insurance plan for the 2017-2018 policy year is through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts.  

For students enrolling in the plan for the first time beginning this 2017-2018 policy year, the premium for coverage is $1,942 and is effective August 1, 2017 through July 31, 2018.

If you have comprehensive health insurance, you may have this fee removed from your college bill, by completing the online Waiver Form found at www.universityhealthplans.com by the July 15, 2017 deadline. 

Please note that if your current coverage is terminated at any point during the remainder of this year, you will need to contact the school within 60 days so that you may be covered under Gordon’s health insurance plan.

A Waiver Form must be submitted each academic year. Please take into consideration if your Health Plan offers coverage in the Wenham/Greater Boston area before waiving the school insurance plan. HMO plans based in states other than Massachusetts have a limited network and limited coverage. 

Parents, it is important for students to BE AWARE of their health insurance benefits: office visit co-pays, pharmacy benefits and prescription co-pays, medical services that might need pre-authorizations and behavioral health benefits and co-pays.

To assist you in making an informed decision regarding your health insurance needs, here are some general questions to ask your current health insurance provider to ensure that it provides adequate coverage: 

  • Does your current health plan provide coverage while in the area of Gordon College? Many HMO plans provide coverage for Emergency Treatment only, while out-of-area of the local HMO.
  • Does your current health plan cover mental health services? Many employer-sponsored plans provide very limited coverage for behavioral health services.
  • Does your current health plan provide coverage anywhere in the world, including medical evacuation and repatriation benefits?
  • Does your current health plan include a nationwide network of Preferred Providers, guaranteeing acceptance of your insurance plan, and reducing the student’s out-of-pocket expenses? Many employer-sponsored plans are managed-care type plans, with a regionally based preferred-provider network.
  • Does your current health plan include Prescription Drug coverage, and a nationwide network of member pharmacies? Many employer-sponsored plans do not provide prescription drug coverage, or only very limited benefits available at certain local pharmacies.

If your current insurance plan meets the guidelines stated above, you should complete the online Waiver Form at www.universityhealthplans.com.

If you are enrolling in the school-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan, you should complete the online Enrollment Form to confirm your acceptance of the plan and expedite the processing of your insurance card.

To access all forms and benefit information on the school-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan, go to www.universityhealthplans.com and click on “Gordon College.”

Harvard Vanguard Beverly, a practice of Atrius Health, has been providing quality medical care to the residents of Beverly, Danvers, Peabody, and other nearby cities and towns since 1972. The office is conveniently located a few miles off of Rt. 128 and directly across the street from Beverly Hospital.

In partnering with Gordon College, we hope to be able to support the current health care system that exists on-campus by using our primary care and specialty clinicians. We are offering:

1. Primary care providers for students who choose to have primary care provider (PCP) with Atrius: whether this is for convenience or due to chronic conditions that need to be monitored more closely. 

  • Urgent care services (Atrius PCP required): we have available urgent care services weekdays from 7:30am – 5:00pm at our Beverly facility. We also offer urgent care services at our Peabody site on weekends and most holidays from 10:00 a.m.–2:00 p.m.
  • Behavioral Health (Atrius PCP required): we have a psychiatric nurse practitioner on-staff for medication management and a full time therapist.  Students would need to see their Atrius PCP prior to an appointment with the psychiatric nurse practitioner or therapist.
  • Specialty Care (Atrius PCP required): primary care providers would act as the facilitator for any chronic or acute conditions needing specialty care within Atrius or in the community

2. Specialty services for students who have conditions or develop conditions that need to be followed or for a consult: students will not need to choose a primary care provider (PCP), if their current PCP is willing to share records and provide referrals if needed.

We have the following specialties available at our Beverly facility:

  • Cardiology
  • Endocrinology
  • Fertility
  • Gastroenterology
  • Nephrology
  • Oncology/Hematology
  • Surgery
  • Neurology
  • Optometry (coming in September)
  • Bone Densitometry
  • Nutrition
  • Laboratory
  • Cardiac Testing

Additional specialties are offered at our Peabody facility which include orthopedics, ophthalmology, allergy and ENT for patients who choose a PCP at either facility.

Contact Information
For students who wish to sign up for a new PCP or who wish to schedule a consult with a specialist can call 978.927.4110 and choose option 5 for “new patient” to register. Students should be aware that urgent care or telephone triage will NOT be available for those who have not previously registered with Atrius.

It’s a good idea to have a supply of the following products on hand with regard to minor illness and injury. Also, be sure to read through our policies on medications and controlled substances so you know what to expect regarding prescription medications once you arrive to campus.

First Aid



Allergy Medicines (Claritin, Benadryl or other antihistamines Soup  
Pain and fever relief (Tylenol, Ibuprofen, etc.) Crackers  
Cold and cough medicines Gatorade  
Lozenges Ginger Ale  
Safe or lockbox for prescription medications Water  
Digital Thermometer Kleenex  
Bug Spray & Anti-Itch Cream  
Ace Bandages for sprains and strains  
Band-Aids for cuts and scrapes  
Disinfecting wipes
Reusable ice pack
Waterless hand sanitizer


In addition to your regular packing and preparations, it's good for everyone in the family to start preparing for the big transition that is moving a student to college. Especially for the incoming student, there are many ways that he/she can start preparing mentally and emotionally for such a monumental change.

We wanted to point you toward Set to Go, a program by The Jed Foundation (JED) that aims to help prepare students and families for the transition from high school to college. Whether it be the social and emotional changes that college brings, needing to master certain life skills on your own for the first time, or recognizing and battling mental health issues, these resources from Set to Go are here to get you started in building that healthy foundation.