What is Verification?
Verification is the process through which the information from your FAFSA is checked for accuracy. If there are differences between your FAFSA and the documents you’ve submitted, corrections may need to be made to the FAFSA by our office. Your financial aid process is not finished until verification has been completed.
There are 4 Categories of Verification: 1) Standard Verification 2) SNAP 3) Child Support Paid 4) High School Completion and Identity Verification. Please refer to the bottom of your financial aid award letter to find out which verification category your application falls under.
The following documents are required in order to complete this Verification process:
- 2013–2014 Verification Worksheet Form
The 2013–2014 Gordon SNAP Verification Form is the only document required in order to complete this Verification process.
Child Support Paid Verification
The 2013–2014 Gordon Child Support Paid Verification Form is the only document required in order to complete this Verification process.
High School Completion and Identity Verification
- The completion of this process will require submission of a final High School transcript or its equivalent, and providing identification documentation in person. Applicants in this category will be contacted with specific guidelines.
- Other documents requested by Gordon College (please refer to your financial aid award letter).
FEDERAL IRS TAX TRANSCRIPT REQUIREMENTS
There are two ways to satisfy the Federal IRS Tax Transcript requirements:
- Request an IRS transcript directly from the IRS and then send to Gordon College
When successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive an IRS Tax Return Transcript at the address included in their request, within 5 to 10 days from the time the request was successfully transmitted to the IRS. Click here for Instructions for Requesting an IRS Transcript.
- Use FAFSA’s IRS Data Retrieval tool (DRT)
The U.S. Department of Education recently created an enhancement to the FAFSA filing process by allowing students and parents to retrieve tax data directly from the IRS. In order to use this option, login to your FAFSA at (http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/) and click on “LINK TO IRS.” This import process needs to be done by both students and parents if you each filed taxes. The tax information will automatically be entered from the Internal Revenue Service database onto the FAFSA. Please read instructions below to see if you can use this DRT feature.
- Electronically filed tax return information will be available through DRT in approx. 10 days after the return has been submitted to the IRS.
- Paper filed tax returns will be available through DRT in approx. 6-8 weeks
Important Note: The following filing situations will not permit the use of DRT so the IRS transcript will be needed to satisfy the requirement:
- IRS filing status is "Married Filing Separately".
- If a parent had a change of marital status after December 31, 2012.
- If you or your parents filed an amended tax return.