Studies in the British Stage
Dates: August 2-17, 2024
Course Title: THT 291 International Seminar: Studies on British Stage (4 Credits)
Location: England and Scotland
Application Deadline: December 15
: [email protected]
This two-week four-credit course focuses on the 20th-21th century theories of theatre in relation to the aesthetics of performance. Students will examine the British state in the 21st century, paying particular attention to not only the aesthetics of performance and the unity of production values, but to the physicalities of all aspects of theatre and communication. Through the course, students will:
- Analyze the writings of some of the giants in modern dramatic theory
- Recognize how these theories are incarnated (or not) in productions viewed in this course
- Reflect on the developments in the technical and artistic practices of the 20th h and 21st-century British stage
- Gain a vocabulary of vital terms necessary for the critique of form and content in the arts, especially theatre
- Comprehend how historical, cultural, and societal influences are reflected in artistic exhibitions
- Critically respond to the collaborative process of artistic expression. This will include an assessment of the imperative collaboration of the theatre artists with each other and the vital relationship of the artists with their audiences
- Critically respond to one artist’s work, making use of research, careful observation, and an interview
- Articulate, in light of the work done for this course, a personal artistic aesthetic.
This seminar fulfills fine arts core & theater requirements.
Students from all majors are invited to apply.
- 2.5 overall GPA
- Sophomore standing or above
- Complete online application (the application includes two references, one faculty and one student affairs reference)
- $35 application fee
Upon acceptance to the program, a non-refundable program deposit of $450 will be due to confirm participation.
Application Deadline: December 15, 2023
The cost per student is $4,700 and includes:
- Airfare (roundtrip from Boston)
- Ground transportation
- Travel insurance
- Excursion fees
For more information, contact:
The Global Education Office
E [email protected]