While Gordon in Orvieto offers a rich experience in the arts and culture of pre-modern Europe suited particularly to students of fine art and the humanities, the program welcomes applications from students from any college or university who:
- Make the statement of Christian faith expected of students at Gordon College
- Agree to abide by the College's behavioral standards
- Satisfy criteria set by the Global Education Office
- Have sophomore standing or above
- Have earned a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher
Gordon College Life and Conduct Statement ➔
In addition to the general qualifications above, the following are requirements that must be met, with or without reasonable accommodation, in order to complete all essential elements of the program in Orvieto. All participants must be able to:
- Tolerate the use and presence of industrial-grade art supplies involving chemicals and solvents.
- Participate in regular communal meals based on a local diet and with limited control over food choices.
- Navigate multiple irregular surfaces and walk/travel up to 10 miles in a day independently. (Extensive walking, as well as travel throughout ancient cities and towns with narrow passageways and many stairs, are part of the regular life of the semester.)
- Anticipate having sufficient emotional wellness to fully participate in the program safely and successfully despite the limited availability of frequent access to psychological services.
This application requests information that will be used to evaluate your eligibility for a Gordon-sponsored program. Gordon College reserves the right to grant admission to these programs based on academic performance, moral maturity and personal motivation.
The following supporting items must be received by the Global Education Office by the application deadline:
Follow application instructions on Horizons, the GEO's online application management system.
Faculty Reference: Requested and completed in Horizons.
Student Affairs Reference: Requested and completed in Horizons. Note: Should be completed by Student Life staff, an RD (not an RA), coach, or staff member well acquainted with the student outside of class who can comment on life and character. This is not to be completed by a fellow student.
Transcript from home institution (Gordon students may submit unofficial transcript).
$35 non-refundable application fee made payable to Gordon College (Gordon students: pay through Transact).
- Non-Gordon students only: Student Life Disciplinary Report/Record (PDF) to be filled out by your home institution's Student Life office (also available in Horizons).
Non-Gordon students only: Visiting Student Certification Form
(also available in Horizons).
Interview: when your application is complete, the GEO will contact you to schedule a meeting.
Note on Italian Visa Requirements: When accepted to the Orvieto program, the GEO will walk you through applying for an Italian student visa. If you would like to know what this visa application entails ahead of time, please visit our Italian Visa Requirements page.
Please note: Gordon students are required to attend a safety and security meeting, a half-day pre-departure seminar, and a half-day re-entry seminar during the semesters before and after studying abroad. Dates and times for the pre-abroad meetings can be found in the online Orvieto application on Horizons, and the re-entry seminar date will be shared with you as early as possible before you return to campus. Attendance is mandatory in order to study abroad.
Applications will not be considered complete until all materials have been received.
Send application fee and any printed forms to (additional documents can also be emailed to [email protected]):
Global Education Office
255 Grapevine Road
Wenham, MA 01984
- Gordon students must submit their online seat applications for Gordon in Orvieto by March 1. All other supporting materials must be received by March 5. The GEO will contact you about scheduling an interview after we have reviewed your application.
- Non-Gordon applicants must submit their online application and all supporting materials by March 15. The GEO will contact you about scheduling an interview after we have reviewed your application.
- Gordon students must submit their online seat applications for Gordon in Orvieto by September 30. All other supporting materials must be received by October 5. The GEO will contact you about scheduling an interview after we have reviewed your application.
- Non-Gordon applicants must submit their online application and all supporting materials by October 15. The GEO will contact you about scheduling an interview after we have reviewed your application.
If you have questions about the application process, please email [email protected] or call 978.867.4399.