Gordon College logo

Professional Chemistry Courses

To earn the major in chemistry, a student will complete one of the three concentrations (biochemistry, health professions, or professional) below while maintaining a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 within the major. Students double majoring in chemistry and another science major such as biology or physics should consult with the Chemistry Department chair for specific requirements, since some courses taken in one major program may satisfy requirements in the other major.

Professional Concentration

Requirements for the professional concentration include:

 CHE100 First Semester Seminar in Chemistry
 CHE111, 112 Principles of Chemistry I, II
 CHE211, 212 Organic Chemistry I, II
 CHE311, 312 Quantitative Analysis, Instrumental Analysis
 CHE315, 316 Physical Chemistry I, II
 CHE391, 392 Junior Seminar I, II
 CHE411 Inorganic Chemistry
 CHE491, 492 Senior Seminar I, II
 MAT141, 142 Calculus I, II
 MAT223 Calculus III
 PHY121, 122 Introductory Physics I, II

Eight credits from the following:
CHE341, 37x, 47x or approved courses in any science or mathematics at the 200 level or higher.

Honors in Chemistry

To earn honors in chemistry a student will complete the professional concentration, including CHE471, 472 Research I, II as the electives, along with 12 credits of coursework from one of the three honors tracks listed below. In addition, the student will write an honors thesis based on work done in CHE471, 472 and make a formal oral presentation of this work. The minimum GPA for honors candidates is 3.5 in the major and 3.0 overall. See department faculty for details.

Physical Sciences Honors Track

PHY214 Mathematical Methods in Physics I

 8 credits of physical science, mathematics or computer science electives

Life Sciences Honors Track

BIO321 Molecular Cell Biology and Microscopy
CHE341 Biochemistry

 4-credit life science elective

Individually Designed Honors Track

A 12-credit program in a chemistry-related area of special interest, designed by the student and approved by the chemistry faculty.

Requirements for the Double Major with Middle School or Secondary Education

Students pursuing licensure in middle school or secondary education and chemistry will substitute CHE341 Biochemistry for CHE411 Inorganic Chemistry, and may use education courses to satisfy the requirement of eight credits of chemistry electives for the professional concentration. See Chemistry and Education Department chairs for other required courses.