Gordon College logo

FAQs About Communication Sciences & Disorders

What is a speech-language pathologist?
Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs) have a broad role to prevent, assess and treat communication and swallowing disorders in children and adults. Areas of specialty may include:

  • Articulation
  • Voice and resonance
  • Fluency
  • Receptive language and expressive language
  • Reading and writing
  • Social pragmatics
  • Cognitive-linguistic functioning
  • Feeding and swallowing
  • Aural rehabilitation for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Augmentative and alternative communication (AAC)
  • Accent modification
  • Other communication enhancement

What can I do after the CSD major, minor or post-bacc program?
Upon completion of the program, you may apply for state licensure as an SLP assistant (SLPA) without any further education, as the CSD program at Gordon is made up of the coursework and practicum experience required by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. SLPAs typically perform tasks prescribed, directed and supervised by ASHA-certified Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs). While SLPAs can work in a wide variety of settings, most are employed in schools or private practices. 

How do I become an SLP?
The entry-level degree for a licensed and certified SLP is a master’s degree. The coursework necessary to complete a CSD program at Gordon is made up of classes typically required as pre-requisites to matriculation into a graduate program in SLP at most local and regional accredited college and university programs. So upon completing coursework, you may choose to apply to graduate school. Once you’re a licensed SLP, you may find employment in:

  • Early intervention 
  • Public schools
  • Private schools
  • Centers for special education
  • Private practices and outpatient centers
  • Acute care hospitals
  • Rehabilitation hospitals
  • Skilled nursing facilities
  • Home health
  • Telemedicine 
  • Colleges and universities

What are my career options after completing a CSD major, minor or post-bacc?
Some students with a CSD major, minor or post-bacc also choose to pursue other careers in related health or education fields.  Some require further education beyond a bachelor’s degree, but others do not. Some related professions include:

  • Audiology
  • Special education
  • Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) therapy
  • Occupational or physical therapy
  • Recreational or music therapy
  • Rehabilitation aides
  • Nursing
  • Social work
  • Radiology technician
  • Personal care attendant
  • Classroom/teaching assistants
  • Patient and family advocates
  • Hospital unit coordinator
  • Interpreter services

Where can I learn more about the field of CSD?

The American Speech-Language and Hearing Association’s (ASHA’s) Information for Students
Information including videos broadly useful to all Communication Sciences & Disorders professions. Especially relevant for those considering graduate school after graduation.

ASHA’s Associate Center
Especially relevant for those considering SLP Assistant licensure after graduation. 

The Massachusetts Board of Registration for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology
Contains information and applications for licensure in SLP or SLPA in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

National Student Speech-Language and Hearing Association (NSSLHA)
Inspires, empowers, and supports students in the field of CSD to engage in leadership opportunities, grow professionally, and excel in their futures.

Jenks Library for Communication Sciences and Disorders
Gordon College's resources and guides for CSD students. 

Connect with Gordon