Are you interested in changing careers and becoming a teacher?
Follow these steps to guide you smoothly into your new career.
1. Contact Dr. Janet Arndt and set up a time to meet with her.
- Janet will discuss your background, your teaching interests, and the current landscape of education to help devise a program plan that is right for you.
- Depending on factors such as what type of teaching interests you and how quickly you would like to complete the program, she will help you select which courses to take and when.
- You will leave her office with a plan that gets you to where you want to go at the pace that feels most comfortable to you.
2. Register online for your first courses.
- If you haven’t already, complete the Graduate Education New Student Form.
- Then go ahead and register for those first courses in your plan.
3. Apply for acceptance to the program.
- Gordon allows you to take up to three courses before you are accepted, so there is no need to wait to register.
- You will want to submit the application now though so that you can be accepted and be all set to continue along with your program.
- Since Massachusetts requires all teachers going for a teaching license to take and pass the MTELs.
- Gordon does not require that applicants take the GREs.
4. Start working on the MTELs.
- MTEL stands for Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure, and there are specific tests required for each teaching license in Massachusetts.
- You will need to take and pass the MTELs before beginning your practicum.
- We recommend you begin with the Communication and Literacy test, which is a general test of your reading and writing ability that all teachers have to take.
- Then, plan to take the remaining tests right after you take the course in that content area, which will help to prepare you.
5. Finish your classes, and then – graduate!
- Remember, we are always here for you.
- If you have questions, change your mind about what type of teaching to pursue, or just plain forget something, we are here to help.
- Contact Janet any time… 978.867.4814 or [email protected]