B.S. Temple University
M.S. Youngstown State University
Katy joined the chemistry faculty in 2011. Prior to teaching, Katy spent 10 years involved in medicinal chemistry research at Bristol-Myers Squibb Company and Aventis Pharma. While working in the pharmaceutical industry, she was actively involved in synthesizing compounds for the oncology, psychiatric and cardiovascular programs. Her current research interests include: the incorporation of Green Chemistry into the General Chemistry curriculum, improving the science training of education majors, science curriculum enhancement in grades K-8, and the exploration of the use of catalysts in the undergraduate laboratory. She is a member of the American Chemical Society. She is an adjunct faculty member of Endicott College and Salem State University.
PUBLICATIONS AND COMMUNICATIONS
- “The Discovery of BMS-457, a Potent and Selective CCR1 Antagonist.”, Gardner, Daniel S. Santella, Jesph, Duncia, J.V., Carter, Percy, Van Kirk, Katy, et.al., Bio and Med Chem Lett. 23(13):383-384 (July, 2013)
- “Discovery and Lead optimization of a Novel Series of CC Chemokine Receptor 1 (CCR1)-Selective Piperidine Antagonists via Parallel Synthesis.”, Cavallaro, Cullen L, Briceno, Stephanie S., Van Kirk, Katy, Carter, Percy, et al. J Med Chem 55 (22):9643-52 2012.
- “Diphenylpyridylethanamine (DPPE) Derivatives as Cholesteryl Ester Transfer Protein (CETP) Inhibitors.”, Harikrishnan, Lalgudi S., Finlay, Heather J., Kamau, Muthoni G., Van Kirk, Katy, et. al., J Med Chem 55(13):6162-75 2012.
- “Discovery of 3-hydroxy-4-cyano-isoquinolines as novel, potent and selective inhibitors of human 11?-hydroxydehydrogenase 1”, Wu, Shung, Yoon, David, Chin, Janice, van Kirk, Katy, et.al., Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. Vol. 21, no. 22, 2011.
- “Novel Tricyclic Inhibitors of 1kB Kinase”, Kempson, J., van Kirk, K. et.al., J Med Chem, vol. 52, no. 7 2009. Design and Synthesis of a G-Coupled Protein Receptor Antagonist Library of Aryloxyalkanolamines Using a Polymer-Supported Acyclic Acetal Linker”. Roberge, J., van Kirk, K., J Comb Chem, vol. 11, no 1, 2009.
- “Discovery and Structure-Activity Relationship of Trisubstituted Pyrimidines/Pyridines as Novel Calcium-Sensing Receptor Antagonists”. Yang, W., Ruan, Z., Wang, Y., van Kirk, K. et.al., J Med Chem, vol. 52, no. 4, 2009.
- “Pyridine Amides as Potent and Selective Inhibitors of 11beta-Hydroxysteroid Dehydrogenase Type 1”, Van Kirk, K., et.al., Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett., 2008, June 1.
- “A Novel, One-step Palladium and Phenylsilane Activated Amidation from Allyl Ester on Solid Support”. Ruan, Z., van Kirk, K., Res Lett Org Chem, vol. 2008, 2008
- “Solid-Phase Synthesis of 5-Substituted Amino Pyrazoles”, Dodd, D.S.; Martinez, R.L.; Kamau, M.G.; Ruan, Z.; Van Kirk, K.; Cooper, C.B.; Hermsmeier, M.A.; Traeger, S.C.; Poss, M.A. J. Comb. Chem., 2005, 584-588.
- “Synthesis of a 10000 Member 1,5-Benzodiazepine-2-one Library by the Directed Sorting Method”, Herpin, T.F.; Van Kirk, K.; Salvino, J.M.; Yu, S.T.; Labaudiniere, R.F., J. Comb. Chem., 2000, 513-521.
- “The Synthesis and Characterization of Ni, Pd, and Pt Maleonitriledithiolate Complexes: X-Ray Crystal Structures of the Isomorphous Ni, PD and Pt (Ph2PCH2CH2PPh2)M(Maleonitriledithiolate) Congeners.”, Landis (Van Kirk), K., Hunter, A.D., Wagner, T.R., Curtin, L.S., Filler, F.L., Jansen-Varnum, S.A., Inorg Chim Acta, 1998, 282, 155-162.
Ruan, Z., Van Kirk, K., Cooper, C. B., Lawrence, R. M. and Poss, M. (2012) One Step Palladium and Phenylsilane Activated Amidation of Solid Supported Allyl Esters in Solid-Phase Organic Synthesis, Vol 2, (ed. P. J. H. Scott), John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, NJ, ISBN 9781118336953.ch3.
“Green General Chemistry: Using GEMS to create a budget friendly general chemistry laboratory manual for non-chemistry majors in small colleges.”, Van Kirk, K. and Kaufman, J., American Chemical Society National Meeting, March, 2012.
“Optimization of a Series of thiazole-based IKK2 Inhibitors: Efficacy in a Chronic Murine Model of Arthritis”, Spergel, Steven, et. al, Van Kirk, Katy. American Chemical Society National Meeting, August, 2009.
“Discovery of Hydroxyisoquinolines as Novel and Potent 11-?-HSD-1 Inhibitors for the Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes”. Yoon, David, Van Kirk, Katy, et.at., American Chemical Society National Meeting, August 2008.