Gordon College logo

Health Center FAQs

What should a student do if they get sick? 
Learning to implement self-care is an important part of being a responsible healthcare consumer and understanding when it’s appropriate to seek medical care. We strongly encourage students to utilize our available self-care resources; these resources are for self-limited illnesses (conditions that are healed by the body’s immune system and can be treated at home or in the residence hall without seeing a medical provider). Check out our flu resources for helpful information to determine whether you are suffering from a cold or the flu!

How many medical providers are on staff?
We have two part-time medical providers on staff: one physician and one nurse practitioner. In addition, we have two registered nurses.

What if a student isn't sure if they need to make an appointment to see a medical provider?
Students may email the Heath Center at [email protected] to communicate with our nursing staff or schedule an appointment.

Emails are checked M-F during regular business hours (9am-4:30pm).  Occasionally we see an email on a weekend. If a student is having a medical emergency they should contact GOPO at 978-867-3333.  If looking to schedule an appointment, emails will be responded to as soon as they are received. 

What if a student needs to see a medical provider when you are not open?
If your medical situation is a true EMERGENCY, call Campus Police EMERGENCY line (978.867.3333) for immediate response; or call 911 if you are off campus.

If you are not having an emergency, we suggest utilizing one of our local urgent care centers: 

If a student does not have a car, do you provide transportation? 
We do not provide transportation. We suggest students use the public transit system when available; ask your friend for a ride, call a cab or Uber. Unfortunately, housing staff are unable to provide transportation for students.

If a student is hospitalized, how will their parents/families be notified?
If a student is hospitalized and able to communicate with hospital staff, then the student determines who is notified and has access to their medical information.

If a student is hospitalized and unable to communicate with hospital staff, then the hospital will contact the Gordon College Campus Police, who will contact the student's parents/family.  

Can students get lab work done at the Health Center? 
Yes, students must provide a copy of the lab order from the requesting provider, verify test availability with the Health Center, and make an appointment to have the lab work done. Lab specimens are collected here, then sent to the lab at LabCorp for processing. LabCorp will bill the insurance company with information that is provided by the student. If none is submitted, the student will receive the bill directly from the lab. All results will be faxed to the ordering medical provider. 

Do you offer flu shots for students?
Unfortuantely, no. We advise that students seek getting their flu vaccine administered by their primary care provider or a local pharmacy.

Do you administer allergy shots?
Unfortunately, we do not administer allergy shots as this is considered an area of specialty. We suggest that you contact the office below to see how they might assist you.

Asthma and Allergy Affiliates
80 Lindall St.
Danvers, MA  01923
T 978.777.0970
F 978.762.8589

If a student has a life-threatening allergy, what do they need to do?
For students with life-threatening allergies, we recommend that students do the following:

  1. First and foremost, please be sure to list ALL KNOWN ALLERGIES and their severity on the Medical Questionnaire! 
  2. Carry your self-administered epinephrine (if you have one) with you at all times. 
  3. Contact the office of Student Life for appropriate accommodations.
  4. Wear a medical alert bracelet or necklace. 

If a student has a chronic condition (Diabetes, Crohn's, etc.) can you be their health care provider and help them manage their condition?
We are able to manage routine illness and injury regardless of chronic conditions. However, if the chronic condition complicates the situation, a student may need to consult with a specialist in the community; we can help make the referral. 

If you have a chronic medical condition, we strongly recommend having a referral made in advance from your local medical provider to be prepared in the event that a student needs to be seen immediately for their condition.

Do you provide nutrition counseling?
Nutrition is an important part of a holistic college experience. If you would like to talk to a Nutrition counselor, Middleton Family Medicine has a Registered Dietician available. We can help the student schedule that appointment.

For tips and info on eating healthy and check out Gordon Student Health 101.

We are also able to refer to local offices if a student is in need. Learn more about local nutritionists ➔

How do I request academic accommodations for my chronic condition?
Please contact the Academic Success Center at x4743 to request an appointment to discuss academic accommodations.

How do I request housing accommodations for my chronic condition?
Contact the Office of Student Life at x4263 for housing accommodations.

Do you offer mental health or counseling services?
The Health Center works closely with the Center for Student Counseling and Wellness in monitoring physical symptoms that often accompany mental health diagnoses. Additionally, the physician and nurse practitioners will complete an evaluation for appropriate medication to assist in the treatment of the student’s particular condition.

When medication is prescribed, the student is seen at least once a week in the HC to monitor the effectiveness of that medication as well as any side effects that the student may be experiencing. 

The Center for Student Counseling and Wellness provides the following:

  • Short-term individual psychotherapy
  • Mental health assessments
  • Medication management referrals
  • Couples psychotherapy
  • Referrals to on-campus resources and off-campus professionals
  • Consultation to faculty, staff, students and administration
  • Information on topics designed to enhance mental health and emotional well-being.

The Center for Student Counseling and Wellness provides off-campus referrals for:

  • Long-term, intensive psychotherapy
  • Long-term treatment for eating disorders, chronic mental illness, trauma or addiction.

What should I do if I have been sexually assaulted?
1. Seek safety. Make sure you are in a safe place with safe people.
2. Get support. Seek out someone you trust in whom you can confide.
3. Preserve evidence. If you think you want evidence collected, do not bathe or shower, brush your teeth or go the bathroom. You will want to go directly to the ER where they will go through the important process of caring for you and preserving evidence. Do not change your clothes (if you already have, put your clothes in a clean paper bag such as a grocery store bag and bring them with you to the ER). 
4. Seek medical attention. Go to the ER at Beverly Hospital 978.922.3000 x3700. If you would like someone to go with you to the hospital, call your RA, a friend, or the Gordon Police at 978.867.3333. 

Please click here for complete information on what to do if you or a friend have been sexually assaulted. You are not alone. 

If the Immunization Form is submitted late, what happens?
A hold and a $50 fine may be placed on any student account who is missing all or part of the required immunizations and TB Screening prior to move-in day. This means they will not be able to add any classes to their schedule and they will have to pay a $50 fee.

What is considered an official immunization record?
An official immunization record may be any of the following as long as it contains the same immunizations required by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts:

  • Printout from a medical provider
  • High school immunization records
  • Immunization records from previously attended colleges and universities
  • Military immunization records
  • International official immunization book "yellow book"

Where can a student get immunizations?

  • Medical provider's office or Medical Day Care Center at Beverly Hospital
  • Most urgent care centers
  • Health departments
  • Some pharmacies

If a student cannot get a physical until after the deadline for the Immunization Form, what should they do?
We will accept a physical that has been done within the last 12 months, except for students who will be participating in competitive athletics.  NCAA requires a physical within the past 6 months for participation.

Is there a waiver for parents/families to have access to their student's medical records? 
We are unable to grant blanket access to a student’s medical records. It is up to the student to decide who has access to their medical records. This is consistent with federal security and privacy regulations.

Near the bottom of the electronic Medical Questionnaire, you will find a place for the student to sign and release medical information to the listed parents/guardians and emergency contacts.

What should a student do about obtaining their prescription medications?
Talk with your local prescribing provider about creating a treatment plan to obtain prescriptions while away at school. Parents/families may need to mail the medication if they do not plan on seeing their student for some time.

If a student is on prescribed medications, will you keep them at the Health Center, or do they have lock boxes in the residence halls?
Students are responsible for keeping their own medications. We recommend they bring a lock box with them if they are on medications that could be abused (including controlled substances such as Adderall, Concerta et al).

Where can a student obtain ADD/HD medication

  • The student may take their written prescription to a local pharmacy. There is limited shuttle service to a local pharmacy.
  • Parents/families may choose to send the written prescription or medication directly to the student.
  • A prescription may be requested for existing prescriptions when documentation of that medication is provided in the student’s medical record. The student will be expected to sign a contract as stated in the Controlled Substances Policy.

Updated information will be provided soon.

Connect with Gordon