Gordon College logo

FAQs About Communication Sciences & Disorders

What is a speech-language pathologist?
Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs) have a broad role to prevent, assess, and treat communication and swallowing disorders in children and adults. Areas of specialty may include:

  • Articulation
  • Voice & resonance
  • Fluency
  • Receptive language & expressive language
  • Reading & writing
  • Social pragmatics
  • Cognitive-linguistic functioning
  • Feeding and swallowing
  • Aural rehabilitation for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Augmentative and alternative communication (AAC)
  • Accent modification
  • Other communication enhancement

What can I do after the CSD post-bacc program?
Upon completion of the program, you may apply for state licensure as an SLP assistant (SLPA) without any further education, as the CSD post-bacc at Gordon is made up of the coursework and practicum experience required by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. SLPAs typically perform tasks prescribed, directed, and supervised by ASHA-certified Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs). While SLPAs can work in a wide variety of settings, most are employed in schools or private practices. 

How do I become an SLP?
The entry-level degree for a licensed and certified SLP is a master’s degree. The coursework necessary to complete the CSD post-bacc at Gordon is made up of classes typically required as pre-requisites to matriculation into a graduate program in SLP at most local and regional accredited college and university programs. So upon completing this program, you may choose to apply to graduate school. Once you’re a licensed SLP, you may find employment in:

  • Early intervention 
  • Public schools
  • Private schools
  • Centers for special education
  • Private practices and outpatient centers
  • Acute care hospitals
  • Rehabilitation hospitals
  • Skilled Nursing Facilities
  • Home Health
  • Telemedicine 
  • Colleges & Universities

What are my career options after completing the CSD post-bacc program?
Some students with a CSD post-bacc also choose to pursue other careers in related health or education fields.  Some require further education beyond a bachelor’s degree, but others do not. Some related professions include:

  • Audiology
  • Special Education
  • Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) Therapy
  • Occupational or Physical Therapy
  • Recreational or Music Therapy
  • Rehabilitation Aides
  • Nursing
  • Social Work
  • Radiology Technician
  • Personal Care Attendant
  • Classroom/Teaching Assistants
  • Patient & family advocates
  • Hospital Unit Coordinator
  • Interpreter Services

All students who complete the CSD425 Practicum for Speech-Language Pathology will finish with 100+ hours of observation and clinical practice in communication sciences and disorders, performed in the community with a local, licensed and certified Speech-Language Pathologist.  In addition, you’ll gain helpful information about career guidance during your coursework and from your advisors on campus.

Where can I learn more about the field of SLP?

The American Speech-Language and Hearing Association’s (ASHA’s) Information for Students
Information including videos broadly useful to all Communication Sciences & Disorders professions. Especially relevant for those considering graduate school after graduation.

ASHA’s Associate Center
Especially relevant for those considering SLP Assistant licensure after graduation. 

The Massachusetts Board of Registration for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology
Contains information and applications for licensure in SLP or SLPA in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts

National Student Speech-Language and Hearing Association (NSSLHA)
Inspires, empowers, and supports students in the field of CSD to engage in leadership opportunities, grow professionally, and excel in their futures.