In light of the College’s decision to move courses fully online for the remainder of the spring semester, students should follow this move-out plan and are expected to be out of their residence halls by April 26.
Beginning April 8 through April 26, students and families are permitted to enter campus to pack up their belongings and check out of their residence halls for the duration of the semester. To accommodate social distancing protocols, we will be limiting the number of students on each floor at any given time by using a staggered sign-up schedule.
Signing up to move out
- Anyone who has been sick or had known interaction with any individual with a confirmed or presumed case of COVID-19 must remain off campus for a minimum of 14 days.
- Sign-up links will be unique to each residence hall, and students should monitor their inbox for an email from their RD with their specific link.
- Timeslots will be available in the morning (8 a.m.–12 p.m.), afternoon (1–5 p.m.) or evening (6–10 p.m.).
- A maximum of two students per floor will be permitted during any given time slot.
- If necessary, students are permitted to stay overnight in their room for their move-out process, but family members MUST lodge off campus.
- Each hall will have a checkout table with various resources and instructions. Students should stop by the table for information before moving out.
- Residence Life staff will be checking email and are able to answer questions remotely but are not expected to have in-person contact with students during move-out. There will be an RD on call whose phone number will be posted at the checkout table and who can respond to urgent questions.
Checking out after moving out
- Students are expected to do the following before completing the checkout process:
- Remove all of your belongings from your room. Make sure you check your drawers and closet, and any common spaces (bathroom, lobby, kitchen).
- Clean your room/bathroom/common spaces.
- Remove all trash and take it to the provided dumpster.
- Wipe down all surfaces, sweep/vacuum the floor.
- Return furniture to its original position, if able.
- Turn off light, lock windows, lock room door.
- Using an envelope found at the checkout station in the lobby, turn in your key and sign the envelope with name and room number (for key access buildings).
- After finishing these instructions, students should revisit the checkout table on their hall to complete the express check out form before leaving.
Accessing storage rooms
- For students wanting to retrieve items from or add items to storage rooms, RDs will open the storage rooms in the morning and close them at night. Storage rooms will not be locked and unlocked on demand, in order to maintain social distancing.
- Students with items in the storage rooms are only permitted to retrieve them during their move-out window.
- Students who live outside of New England, particularly those who need to fly to campus, will be allowed to store two items in the hall storage of their current residence hall. More information will be available at checkout.
- Students traveling from within New England should plan to take all items home with them.
Exceptions for extenuating circumstances
- If a student is unable to come back to campus in the required timeframe, we are asking the student to mail us their keys and have a friend pack their belongings. If that’s not possible, students should contact their RD to arrange another solution.
- For extenuating circumstances in which move-out cannot be completed as instructed, students can complete the Petition to Remain on Campus form. RDs will review all petitions and follow up with each student. Please note that any students who completed the “Intent to Return” form earlier in March and plan to either return to or stay on campus must complete the new petition form.