The official move-out process began on May 19, 2020, and will continue through the first week of June. During this time, students and families are permitted to enter campus to pack up their belongings and check out of their residence halls according to the process below. To accommodate social distancing protocols, we are limiting the number of students on each floor at any given time by using a staggered sign-up schedule. Please practice appropriate health precautions, including indoor mask-wearing, while on campus.
Signing up to move out
- Anyone who has been sick or had known interaction with any individual with a confirmed or presumed case of COVID-19 must remain off campus for a minimum of 14 days.
- Sign-up links will be unique to each residence hall, and students should monitor their inbox for an email from their RD with their specific link.
- Timeslots will be available in the morning (8 a.m.–12 p.m.), afternoon (1–5 p.m.) or evening (6–10 p.m.).
- A maximum of two students per floor will be permitted during any given time slot.
- If necessary, students are permitted to stay overnight in their room for their move-out process, but family members MUST lodge off campus.
- Each hall will have moveout instructions posted clearly by entranceways and on each floor. Please refer to the instructions and signage posted in your building.
- Residence Life staff will be checking email and are able to answer questions remotely but are not expected to have in-person contact with students during move-out.
Checking out after moving out
- Students are expected to do the following before completing the checkout process:
- Remove all of your belongings from your room. Make sure you check your drawers and closet, and any common spaces (bathroom, lobby, kitchen).
- Clean your room/bathroom/common spaces.
- Remove all trash and take it to the provided dumpster.
- Wipe down all surfaces, sweep/vacuum the floor.
- Return furniture to its original position, if able.
- Turn off light, lock windows, lock room door.
- Follow the instructions in the email from your RD for returning your keys (for key access buildings).
- After finishing these instructions, students should complete the express check out form before leaving.
Accessing storage rooms
- For students wanting to retrieve items from or add items to storage rooms, RDs will open the storage rooms in the morning and close them at night. Storage rooms will not be locked and unlocked on demand, in order to maintain social distancing.
- Students with items in the storage rooms are only permitted to retrieve them during their move-out window.
- Students who live outside of New England, particularly those who need to fly to campus, will be allowed to store two items in the hall storage of their current residence hall. More information will be available at checkout.
- Students traveling from within New England should plan to take all items home with them.
Exceptions for extenuating circumstances
- If a student is unable to come back to campus, we are asking the student to mail us their keys and have a friend pack their belongings. If that’s not possible, students should contact their RD to arrange another solution.