October 30–November 1, 2020
A weekend of consulting on your business or nonprofit idea!
Startup Sandbox is an idea-testing weekend. Over three days, students will work in teams to validate and formulate a problem they've identified, viability of a solution, and get advice on next steps. Students bring passion and ideas, CEL provides workshops, tools, and real-world entrepreneurs who will help you focus your ideas and identify your next steps. Teams will ultimately pitch their idea at the end of the weekend to a panel of judges for the chance to win up to $500 in seed money towards your venture.
SIGN UP WHAT IS SANDBOX?
WHAT DO PEOPLE WORK ON?
This is a weekend to do something practical about the stuff you talk about wanting to do:
- That problem you've always wanted to do something about
- That product that you have dreamed of making
- That service you see needed
- That business or non-profit you want to launch
You can either:
- Bring your own idea and work by yourself
- Bring your own idea and teammates
- Be inspired by others' ideas and join a team
WINNING TEAMS RECEIVE:
- First place wins $500
- Second place wins $300
- Third place wins $200
Registration is easy - all we need is your basic contact information and a general description of the idea you want to work on. Walk-ins are welcome, but your registration in advance helps us know how many people to expect. Register here!
- Free registration
- Open to all years, all majors who want to work together to make things happen
- Sign up as an individual, as a team, or as a free agent (looking to join someone else's team)
- You do not need a defined problem or solution to participate
- Prior entrepreneurial, business or nonprofit experience is not required
- Commitment to launching your idea after the weekend ends is optional
WHAT TO EXPECT:
The full, detailed schedule will be presented at the Opening Kick-Off on Friday. Here's an overview of what this fast-paced weekend has in store:
Friday, October 30, 2020
- 7 p.m. // Kick-Off (Open to all of campus—walk-ins welcome!)
- 7:30 p.m. // Open Mic for 60-Second Idea Sharing (share your idea or listen to others)
- 8:30 p.m. // Team Up & Get to Work! (coffee and cookies provided for sustenance)
Saturday, November 1, 2020
- 10 a.m.–5 p.m. // Team Work
- Businesses & Nonprofits 101
- Defining your Problem & Solution
- Meet with Expert, Real-World Mentors
- We supply you with free food for fuel!
Sunday, November 2, 2020
- 1–4:30 p.m. // Team Work
- Idea Refinement
- Practice for Pitch
- 6:30–7:30 p.m. // Final Pitches
- Open to all of campus!
- Each team will present to a panel of outside judges who will be judging on three basic criteria: size of problem, impact of solution, and sustainability of impact.
- 7:30–8 p.m. // Awards Announced
DeWayne Davenport '98, DavCard Group
Michael Wheeler, Wheeler Design Group
Steven Byler '02, GrowthLab Financial Services
Paul Parisi, SaviorLabs
Jay Batson, Sigma Prime Ventures