The Best Semester's China Studies Program enables students to engage China's ancient history from an insider's perspective. While immersed in Chinese culture, students participate in seminar courses on the historical, cultural, religious, geographic and economic realities of this strategic and complex nation.
Students choose between standard and advanced Chinese language and apply their skills by serving in an orphanage or tutoring Chinese students in English. The program beings and finishes the semester in Hong Kong and introduces to the diversity of China, including Beijing, Shanghai, Xian and Xiamen. This interdisciplinary, cross-cultural program enables students to communicate and understand the unique culture and people of china with an informed, Christocentric perspective.
By coming to see others we see ourselves. Living in China provides an unusual place to explore your worldview and cultural presuppositions. The program encourages:
To gain eligibility you must:
Students receive between 15 and 17 credits depending on the optional courses they pursue. In addition to the courses, there is a service component that may be fulfilled by teaching English or working in a children's home. The required courses for the semester program include:
In addition to these core courses, students may choose from a variety of elective courses:
Global Understanding core credit can be fulfilled by this semester program when students participate in the pre- and post-departure New Perspectives course. Lab fees apply as of Fall 2013. Visit the GEO for details or go to the GEO Global Understanding webpage.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE & DEADLINES
All Gordon students applying to the BEST SEMESTER China Studies Program must first submit an online seat application to participate in a Global Education program. Only after you've been approved by the Global Education Office for study abroad may you proceed with the BEST SEMESTER's online application. Proceed to online seat application.
- Seat applications for the fall semester must be submitted online by March 15. Interviews with the Global Education Office must be conducted by that same date.
- Seat applications for spring semester must be submitted online by September 15. Interviews with the Global Education Office must be conducted by that same date.
After you've been approved by the Global Education Office proceed with the BEST SEMESTER's online application. Deadlines are:
- Fall Semester: April 1
- Spring Semester: October 1
EARLY ADMISSION: If you wish to apply early admission to the China Studies Program, then the deadlines are as follows:
- Seat applications for the fall semester: EARLY ADMISSION must be submitted online by January 15. Interviews with the Global Education Office must be conducted by that same date.
- Seat applications for spring semester: EARLY ADMISSION must be submitted online by April 15. Interviews with the Global Education Office must be conducted by that same date.
After you've been approved by the Global Education Office, you proceed with the BEST SEMESTER's application. The BEST SEMESTER's early admission deadlines are:
- Fall Semester: February 1
- Spring Semester: May 1
The cost is generally equal to a semester at Gordon and includes:
Not included in regular tuition costs are such items as:
For further information please contact:
The Global Education Office
Apply to participate in Global Education Programs with the Online Seat Application.
After being approved for participation you may apply to the China Studies Program