Academic Accessibility

Gordon College is dedicated to reflecting the rich mosaic of the body of Christ and recognizing the contributions of all students. As part of Gordon's commitment to the holistic education and personal development of each student, the College provides a variety of support services to students with documented disabilities.

Assurance of equal educational opportunity rests upon legal foundations established by the federal law. In accordance with the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 including Section 504 and the American with Disabilities Act of 1990 and it amendments, the College is committed to providing students with disabilities equivalent access to a Gordon education. By federal law, a person with a disability is any person who: 1) has a physical or mental impairment, 2) has a record of such an impairment or, 3) is regarded as having such an impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities. If you have any questions regarding physical accessibility, please contact the physical access coordinator, Terry Charek, in the Center for Student Development at 978.867.4072 and visit the to find out more about campus accessibility and housing.

Procedure for Obtaining Academic Accommodations

The Academic Support Center is the designated spot on campus for students who are requesting academic accommodations because of a documented disability. Any student who intends to request services because of a documented disability must submit to the director of the Academic Support Center, written, comprehensive documentation from a specialist, such as a medical, psychological, psychological-educational, and/or neuropsychological evaluation. This would confirm the student's eligibility under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act. If possible, the student should send his or her documentation to the ASC before arriving in August. Documentation must be current (i.e. completed within the past three years), provide clear and specific evidence and identification of a disability, and verify accommodation needs with specific academic recommendations. For information on what constitutes appropriate documentation, please refer to the links on the right. 

Once appropriate documentation has been received, the ASC will review it and meet with the student to discuss appropriate accommodations.  Please note: An IEP or 504 plan alone is insufficient for documentation but is helpful as part of the documentation submitted. Reference Documentation Guidelines to the right for more information. It is the College's policy that no qualified person be excluded from participating in any College program or activity, or otherwise be subjected to discrimination with regard to any College program or activity. To that end, the Academic Support Center exists to provide services to students, working in conjunction with departments, offices, and faculty, assuring efficient and equitable delivery to all qualified students. The ASC provides updates on available support, heightens appreciation for various learning styles, and alerts instructors about specific student needs.

Academic Accommodations

To obtain academic accommodations, please see procedure in above section. Accommodations are arranged through ASC and may include recorded books, alternative format text, extended time for exams, a quiet testing area, taping of lectures, copies of notes, access to assistive technology, and special advising.

Assistive technologies available include JAWS, Dragon, Kurzweil300, Zoomtext, LiveScribe smartpens, Duxbury and Learning Ally software, which are also available for use in the ASC's Adaptive Lab.

Procedure for Obtaining Alternate Format Texts

Students with disabilities who are registered with the ASC and have documentation that substantiates the need for alternate texts and/or other print materials must follow the procedure below (each and every semester).

The student must:

1. Register with the ASC
The student is required to be registered with the Academic Support Center. This means that the student has submitted recent documentation (see documentation guidelines to the right) and has met with a staff member of the ASC to determine what accommodations are appropriate. At this meeting, the ASC staff will also orient the student to the accessibility resources Gordon has and determine what, if any, instruction the student may need to use them.

2. Obtain textbook information
The student is responsible for finding the necessary textbook information for his/her classes. As soon as the student registers for classes (in April for fall classes or November for spring classes), the student should obtain this information from the professor, the College bookstore, or the division administrative assistants.

3. E-mail the ASC
E-mail the ASC at with the pertinent textbook information including the class name and number, the professor's name, the title and author of the textbook(s), the edition(s), the publisher(s), ISBN #, and any other relevant information. Please note that it may take 6–8 weeks to obtain these materials. In the case of Braille, it can take 3–6 months. Late request and/or incomplete information may result in a delay in procurement of materials.

4. Purchase texts and present receipts
Prior to receiving alternate format materials, the student must purchase his/her books and show proof of purchase (e.g. receipt) to the Academic Support Center. This is required by the publishers.

5. Learn how to access alternate textbook formats
You may meet with an ASC staff member to learn how to access materials from Learning Ally, Bookshare, and other sources if you don't already know how to do so. Alternate textbook formats may include audio recording, Braille, e-text, and text enlargement. Learning how to access materials on your own will make the process easier and often faster for you in obtaining the textbook formats you need each semester. You may sign up for a $99 individual membership with Learning Ally. If you prefer, you may obtain a membership through Gordon at no cost. 

If you are requesting an electronic text (e-text), the ASC will work with you to contact the publisher to determine availability. In the event that the material is not available, permission will be obtained from the publisher to scan and edit the material. Please note that in order to scan the material, the binding will be cut and the book returned to you in a plastic spiral binding. Once the book is scanned, you can access it through your computer and have it read via the software program, Kurzweil 3000.  Kurzweil is networked on campus, and available for installation on your computer, or you can use the Assistive Technology Lab located in the ASC.

6. Once alternate textbooks are acquired by the ASC, students will be notified via email and asked to come in the ASC to retrieve the book. Students are reminded that alternate texts provided are to be treated the same as any other copyrighted material.

If you have any questions about obtaining alternate format texts, please contact the Academic Support Center at 978.867.4743 or



Guidelines for ADHD Documentation (PDF)
Information recommended to document ADHD accommodation needs

Guidelines for Learning Disability Documentation (PDF)
Information recommended to document LD accommodation needs

Guidelines for Medical/Chronic Health Documentatio (PDF)
Information recommended to document Medical/Chronic Health accommodation needs

Guidelines for Physical/Mobility Disability Doc (PDF)
Information recommended to document Physical/Mobility Disability accommodation needs

Guidelines for TBI/Cognitive Disability Documentat (PDF)
Information recommended to document TBI/Cognitive Disability accommodation needs

Guidelines for Visual Impairment Disability Doc (PDF)
Information recommended to document Visual Impairment Disability accommodation needs

Guidelines for Deaf/Hard of Hearing Disability Doc (PDF)
information recommended to document Deaf/Hard of Hearing Disability accommodation needs

Documentation Guidelines for Psychiatric Disabilit (PDF)
Information recommended to document Psychiatric Disability accommodation needs