Senior Field Practicum Timeframe – Your Junior Year
- September: Make an appointment with the Career Services office for help with your resume. You will need a resume to submit with your field application in January.
- September: Attend the Global Ed Fair if you are interested in an International Field Placement.
- October–November: Attend agency presentations of seniors currently in Field Seminar—watch for the emails for time and place. This gives you important information and personal contact with students who have experienced the placement, all without having to go off campus. All Juniors are required to attend at least three senior presentations Fall Semester.
- January: Complete your field application (on the College Website: http://www.gordon.edu/socialwork) and submit with a copy of your resume on your IPT student profile page by the end of the first full week of classes, Spring Semester.
- February: Attend the first required meeting for Field Practicum planning. Between this meeting and the Roundtable, spend some time looking at the field placement options.
- February: Attend the Social Work Field Practicum Roundtable to meet with perspective field supervisors. To prepare for the Roundtable Session, look here.
- March-April: Attend agency presentations of seniors currently in Field Seminar—watch for the emails for time and place. This gives you great information and personal contact with students who have experienced the placement, all without having to go off campus. All Juniors are required to attend at least three senior presentations Spring Semester.
- March: Attend the second required meeting for your Field Practicum Planning
- March: (before spring break) Make an appointment to meet with the Field Practicum Coordinator to jointly identify five potential field practicum sites. During Spring Break research your five sites: check websites; contact students previously placed there.
- March: (upon return from spring break) Add the three field practicum sites you would like to pursue to your IPT profile. Contact all three agencies to arrange an interview for April.
Set up another appointment with the field coordinator before the end of March if you need additional options.
- April: Attend the third required meeting for your Field Practicum Planning.
- April: Before your interview, email the program information sheet to your contact person or bring it with you to the interview so the agency understands Gordon’s requirements. Bring your revised resume to your interview, or send it out ahead of time if requested. Add your interview place and dates to your IPT profile by the first week in April. Find out more about preparing for your interview here. All field interviews must be completed by the end of April. Students cannot register for Field Practicum unless they have been accepted by a specific agency.
- May 1: Send a letter to the agency of your choice, confirming your acceptance of the placement. Send a copy to the Field Practicum Coordinator with your supervisor’s name, degree, title, address, phone and email. Suggest an actual starting date (must be within a week of the first day of classes), and see if they are in agreement. Send an email of thanks to the field supervisors at the agencies who interviewed you, but you do not choose as you agency for field practicum.
Students cannot register for the Field Practicum and Field Practicum Seminar unless they have secured an approved Field Practicum Site and emailed their Supervisor information to the Field Practicum Program Coordinator. This means that:
- Students assigned to a Fall Semester Field Practicum must have a placement secured and approved before they can register for fall courses. Students who do not meet this deadline before the end of the registration period will have to pay late fees.
- Students assigned to a Spring Semester Field Practicum must have a placement secured and approved before they can register for spring courses. Students who do not meet this deadline before the end of the registration period will have to pay late fees.
- Students in off campus programs during Spring Semester of their junior year must either arrange a placement before they leave (during Fall semester) or insure that they are registered for a spring semester Field Practicum for their senior year.