- Ph.D.: Boston College, May, 1990: Philosophy
- M.Div.: Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary, May, 1980
- B.A.: University of Maine (Orono), June, 1974: Music
- Areas of Specialty: Philosophy of Religion, Hermeneutics, Epistemology, Recent Continental Philosophy, Kierkegaard, Lonergan
- Areas of Competence: Metaphysics, Logic, History of Philosophy, Late Modern Philosophy
Gordon College (Current)
Position: Professor of Philosophy
Courses: Great Ideas: Antiquity and Modernity (Core), Formal Logic, Philosophy of Religion, Philosophy of the Natural Sciences, Late Modern Philosophy, Knowledge and Truth, Kierkegaard and Postmodernism, C. S. Lewis and the Christian Imagination, Language and Interpretation, The Human Condition, Senior Seminar
Boston College (1980 1990)
Position: Graduate Teaching Fellow, 1980 1990; Adjunct Instructor, Evening College, 1985¬-1990
Courses: Philosophy of the Person, Introduction to Philosophy, Symbolic Logic
Gordon College (1978 1980)
Position: Teaching Assistant 1978 1980; Adjunct Instructor, Fall 1979
Courses Taught: Ethics, Fall 1979
Courses Assisted: Introduction to Philosophy, Logic, Ethics, Philosophy of Religion, Ancient and Medieval Philosophy, Philosophy of the Social Sciences
- "Why I Am Not a Physicalist," Christian Scholar's Review (Winter, 2004), Vol. XXIII, No. 2
- "God's Goodness: Axiomatic For Theism?" Christian Scholar's Review (Winter, 1997), Vol. XXVII, No. 2.
- "Kierkegaard's 'Three Stages': A Pilgrim's Regress?" Faith and Philosophy, (July 1996), Vol. 13, No. 3, 352 367.
- "The Decline From Authority: Kierkegaard on Intellectual Sin." International Philosophical Quarterly, (March, 1993), Vol. XXXIII, No. 1, 21 35.
- "Mentoring Across Time: Six Books That Have Changed My Life." First Year Seminar Reader, textbook for Gordon College First Year Seminar, 1994 & 1998.
- Review of Peter Kreeft and Ronald Tacelli, Handbook of Christian Apologetics, Koinonia Annual, Vol. 11, 1995, 97 100.
- "Sharp Compassion: Kierkegaard on the Problem of Sin." Doctoral Dissertation, Boston College, under the direction of Prof. Peter Kreeft and Prof. Richard Cobb Stevens; defended Spring, 1990; reworked into book manuscript 1991 92.
- "A Study Guide for Great Ideas: AntiquitylModernity." Introduction to the basic problems, issues, and figures in the History of Philosophy; used as textbook in introductory course at Gordon College; also used by Fr. Harvey Egan, S.J., in introductory theology courses at Boston College,
- "The Pieties of Thought: A Principled Pluralism." A book length manuscript on the question of integrating Christian faith and philosophical learning are to be integrated, produced during 1996 Sabbatical. Currently being rewritten in light of new research.
- "Spirit and Structure: A Companion to the Philosophy of Bernard Lonergan." A book length Study Guide to introduce students to the thought of the great Jesuit philosopher and theologian. Text and Questions keyed to Joseph Flanagan's Quest For Self Knowledge: An Essay in Lonergan's Philosophy.
RESEARCH IN PROGRESS
Sabbatical Project (Spring, 2005): To continue research in religious epistemology and write a major article, "Toward a Theory of Responsible Judgment: Lonergan and Virtues Epistemology.
PRESENTATIONS AND ADDRESSES
(Scholarly presentations are preceded by an asterisk)
- *"Lonergan on 'Secularization and Sacralization."' Presentation at Friday Lonergan Colloquium, Boston College, November 19, 2005.
- *"Tending Intending: Lonergan and Virtue Epistemology." Presentation at Annual Lonergan Forum, Boston College, October 22, 2005.
- *"C. S. Lewis and the Christian Imagination." Samuel Taylor Coleridge Lecture Series, Church of the Advent, Boston, November 3, 2004.
- *"Why I Am Not a Physicalist." Presentation at Faculty Forum, Gordon College, October 29, 2003.
- *"Shall These Bones Live? Life, Death and Immortality in the Thought of C. S. Lewis." Presentation given at All Saints Episcopal Church, New York City, Wednesday, March 19, 2003.
- *"Kierkegaard and Lonergan on Intellectual Eros." Paper given at Eastern Division Society of Christian Philosophers meeting, March 2, 2001.
- *"Lonergan and Kierkegaard: An Irreconcilable Either/Or?" Presentation given at Lonergan Workshop, Boston College, June 20, 2000.
- *"Reformed Epistemology and the Quest for Certainty." Presentation given a faculty forum, Gordon College, January 29, 2000.
- *"The Quest for Certainty in Modern Epistemology." Presentation given at L'Abri Fellowship, Southboro, MA, June 11, 1999.
- "An Introduction to Worldviews." Presentation (with Tim Sherratt, Professor of Political Studies, Gordon College) at First Year Seminar Workshop, Gordon College, May 21, 1999.
- *"C. S. Lewis on Heaven and Hell." Presentation given at L'Abri Fellowship, Southboro, MA. March 12, 1999. Given again at Christ Church Lenten Forum, April 9, 2000.
- "Lessing's Option: The Christian Learner as Faithful Seeker." Convocation address at Gordon College, January 29, 1999.
- *"The Human Condition as Fallen: An Evaluation of Cornelius Plantinga's Not The Way It's Supposed to Be: A Breviary of Sin." Presentation at First Year Seminar Spring Workshop, May 27, 1998.
- *"Christian Apologetics: A Working Definition and a Typology." Panel discussion presentation at New England Regional Seminar on Christian Apologetics, Gordon College, August 1, 1997.
- *"Kierkegaard on Authority and Intellectual Duplicity." Paper presented at the International Kierkegaard Conference, St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN, June 10, 1997.
- *"C. S. Lewis: A Second Look at Mere Christianity." Presentation at First Year Seminar Workshop, Gordon College, May 19,1997.
- *"The Pieties of Thought: A Principled Pluralism." Presentation based on recent book manuscript to Faculty Forum, Gordon College, January 22, 1997.
- "C. S. Lewis: Surprised by Joy, Chastened by Grief." Presentation to Alumni and Parents, Homecoming, Gordon College, October 11, 1997.
- *"C. S. Lewis: A Context for Mere Christianity." Presentation at First Year Seminar Workshop, Gordon College, May 22, 1996
- "Keeping the Faith." Address to students, Evans Hall, Gordon College, October 11, 1995.
- "Redeeming the Time: The Gospel According to Bach." Presentation and Performance at Friday Colloquium, Merrimack College, Andover, MA, January 27, 1995.
- *"God's Goodness: Axiomatic For Theism?" Paper presented at Friday colloquium, Merrimack College, Andover, MA, September 23,1994.
- *"Kierkegaard's 'Three Stages': A Pilgrim's Regress?" Paper presented at New England regional meeting, Society of Christian Philosophers, April 18, 1993 and, in revised version, at the Soren Kierkegaard Society meeting, APA, Chicago, April 28, 1995.
- "Mentoring Across Time: Six Books That Have Changed My Life." Address to Phi Alpha Chi Honor Society Induction, April 29, 1993.
- "A Typology of Christian Academic Communities." Address and panel discussion leading at Gordon College Faculty Workshop, August 27 28, 1992.
- *"Kierkegaard's View of Religious Authority. "Paper presented and Kierkegaard Symposium, Gordon College in conjunction with Boston College, April 11, 1992.
- "The Unbearable Lightness of Discipleship." Sermon preached at Weekly Eucharist Service, Gordon College March 4, 1992.
- *"Detachment and the Virtuous Life." Paper presented at Faculty Forum, Gordon College, May 8, 1991.
- "Effort and Grace: Love God and Do As You Will." Sermon preached at Weekly Eucharist, Gordon College, October 23, 1991.
- "Academic Freedom: A Contextual Approach." Presentation and panel discussion, Faculty Forum, Gordon College, October, 1991.
- "A Preface to Kierkegaard. "Address sponsored by Perspectives Program, Boston College, Spring 1989.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Honor Society Memberships:
- Alpha Sigma Nu (National Jesuit Honor Society); elected Spring, 1984
- Phi Alpha Chi (Theological Honor Society); elected Spring, 1977
- Phi Beta Kappa (Academic Honor Society); elected Spring, 1974
- Phi Kappa Phi (Academic Honor Society); elected Spring 1973
Other Academic Awards:
- Lonergan Fellowship, Boston College, Fall Semester, 2005.
- Junior Distinguished Faculty Award, Gordon College, 1998.
- Awarded tenure and promotion to Associate Professor rank, Gordon College, 1997.
- Teaching Fellowship, Philosophy Department, Boston College, starting first year of graduate studies, 1980.
- Award for Teaching Excellence, Boston College Philosophy Department, 1984.
- President's Award for highest academic achievement, Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary, May, 1980.
- Byington Fellowship in Church History Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary, 1976.
- American Philosophical Association
- Society of Christian Philosophers
- Soren Kierkegaard Society
- Lonergan Research Institute
- Planned, Organized and Moderated a Colloquium on "Religion and Postmodernism" featuring John D. Caputo of Villanova University and Mark Gedney of Gordon College, held at Gordon College, October 28, 2002.
- Served on Program Committee, Eastern Division, Society of Christian Philosophers, 1998 2001
- Chair, Program Committee, Eastern Division, Society of Christian Philosophers, 1999-2000.
- Planned and organized session for SCP at Eastern Division APA, December 28, 2000, entitled "Divine Discourse: Analysis vs. Post Structuralism," featuring presentations by Nicholas Wolterstorff and John Caputo.
- Member of Jury, President's Recital Competition, Music Department, Gordon College, November 1998.
- Invited Participant, Apologetics Writers' Workshop, Sponsored by Gordon College's
- Center for Christian Studies, July 21 August 1, 1997.
- Visiting Scholar, Research Seminar, Pew Summer Research Program, June 4 5, 1998.
INSTITUTIONAL SERVICE (Gordon College)
- Chair, Philosophy Department, Gordon College, 2000 2005
- Coordinator, First Year Seminar Program, 1997 2000
- Faculty Secretary, Fall 2000; 2001 2005
- Philosophy Search Committee, 1997 98.
- Participant, Worship 2000 Task Force, 1997 1998
- Music Search Committee, Spring, 1997
- Pike Honors Program Advisor, 1995 1997; 2001 Present
- Core Curriculum Committee, 1995 1996; 1997 2000, 2004 present
- Visual Arts Search Committee, Spring, 1996
- Faculty Development Committee, 1990 1994; 1996 1997
- Presidential Task Force on Community/ Governance, 1992 93
- Sophomore A.J. Gordon Scholars Selection Committee, 1991 1993
- Ad Hoc Committee drafting Policy on Racial and Sexual Harassment, 1992 93
- Ad Hoc Committee exploring Honors Program Spring, 1993
- Academic Dean Search Committee, 1993 94
- Co Chair, Program Committee, Regional Society of Christian Philosophers, 1993 94
- Organized and presided over departmental Saturday Seminars 1991 present
- Organized Philosophy Department Colloquia, 1993 present
- Vice President, Phi Alpha Chi Honors Committee, Gordon College, 1993-Present
- Acting Chair, Philosophy Department, 1993 94, Spring 1999
- Organist and liturgist for Wednesday Eucharist at Gordon College 1992 2000
- Interim Organist and Choirmaster, Trinity Episcopal Church, Topsfield MA, 1993 94
- Substitute Organist and Choirmaster in various Boston area churches, 1980 present
- Accompanied student performers in recital and for juries, Gordon College, 1990 96
- Organist and Choirmaster, Trinity Baptist Church, Lynnfield, MA, 1975 80
- Organized and directed Gordon Conwell Concert Choir, 1975 1978
- Composed String Quartet as honors project, University of Maine, 1973
- String Quartet performed, Student Composers' Forum, University of Maine, Spring, 1974
- Citizenship: USA; born Boston, MA, November 12,1952
- Married to Rebekah Jenks, August 14, 1982
- Confirmed in Episcopal Church, USA, Pentecost, 1981
- Member Christ Church Episcopal, Hamilton, MA