GENERAL INFORMATION ON SOCIAL POLICY PROGRAMS
Find Your Program Web site.
Find Additional Information About Your Program
- Program or agency website - look for research sections.
- Background Material and Data on the Programs within the Jurisdiction of the Committee on Ways and Means (Green Book) - program descriptions and data on Social Security, Medicare, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, Child Welfare, and more.
- Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance contains descriptions of assistance programs administered by federal agencies. The CFDA provides program information such as objectives, eligibility, financial information, and program accomplishments. Also available in print in the library Ref. HC 110.P63 A5652.
- Washington Information Directory provides contact information, Internet addresses, and brief descriptions of federal departments and agencies, congressional committees, and non-profit organizations. Ref. F 192.3 .W33
- Mass.Gov contains information from Massachusetts state agencies.
Issues Surrounding a Program
- Online Catalog - search the library online catalog for your program, policy or issue.
- CQ Researcher Ref. H 35 .E35
- Congress and the Nation Ref. KF 49 .C65
- Congressional Quarterly Almanac Ref. JK 1 .C66
- These three books are good sources for understanding how a program became established.
- Use the index in the back of the volume for the years your program was authorized. Who were the program's advocates? What problems did the program address?
- GAO Reports provide investigative reports on federal programs to help the Congress in oversight, policy, and funding decisions.
- Catalog of U.S. Government Publications provides bibliographic records of government publications and links to many online agency publications. Choose “Advanced Search” and limit by Catalogs: “Internet Publications”.
Full Text Databases for Finding Reference and Journal Articles
- APA Style - tutorials and quick answers on APA style
- Concise Rules of APA Style Ref. BF 76.7 .C66 2005
- Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association Circ. Desk BF 76.7 .P83 2001
Contact the library: 978.867.4339 | librarygordon.edu