You can use library electronic resources from any computer on or off campus. See a complete listing of electronic resources by name, provider, or subject. Databases covering English language and literature are listed below.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE DATABASES
- Contemporary Literary Criticism (Gale) – critical essays on contemporary authors
Literary Reference Center (EBSCO)
Information about authors and their works from antiquity to the present day. Sources include books, journals, literary encyclopedias, and other reference works.
Literary Reference Center Enhanced Interface (EBSCO)
Information about authors and their works in a highly graphical interface. Sources include books, journals, literary encyclopedias, and other reference works.
- Literature Network – searchable online literature, including over 1900 full books and over 3000 short stories and poems by over 250 authors. The quotations database contains over 8500 quotes.
- Literature Resource Center (Gale) - author biographies and information on their works, critical essays and reviews
- Magill's Literary Annual - reviews of fiction and non-fiction books published from 1977 to present.
- MLA International Bibliography (EBSCO) – bibliography of journal articles, books and dissertations with links to many full text articles
- Oxford Reference Online: Literature – Find definitions, summaries, biographical profiles, and more from Oxford reference titles. Please log out when you are finished searching. Our subscription allows one user at a time.
OTHER DATABASES COVERING ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE
- Academic OneFile (Gale) – scholarly database containing journals, podcasts, and transcripts
- Academic Search Premier (EBSCO) – scholarly database containing peer-reviewed journals
- Biography in Context (Gale) – biographies, related full-text articles from periodicals, as well as images and links to web sites
- Choice Reviews – reviews of current books and electronic resources of interest to those in higher education
- Jenks Book Review Index – search for book reviews across EBSCO databases
- JSTOR - a collection of core scholarly journals, many going back to the first volume. Emphasis is on back issue coverage and does not include the current 3-5 years, unless Gordon has a current subscription to the journal. JSTOR provides long term preservation for journals.
More electronic resources are available through Boston Public Library. However, you must first take a minute to sign up for a BPL eCard.
- Gordon's Periodical List is a complete list of all journals available through Jenks Library (full text in databases, online, and print).
- You can search for a journal title in Periodical List.
- You can also see subjects under the category of language and literature in Periodical List. Click on a subject to view the journals available.
are located in the periodicals area on the 4th floor of Jenks. Please note that journals are arranged alphabetically by title, not by subject area.
BOOKS, DVDs, VIDEOS, CDs
- Search the online catalog to find materials on topics in English language and literature.
- If you want to browse the shelves, some related call numbers are:
|| English Language
|| Literature History & Collection
|| English Literature
|| American Literature
- British women romantic poets, 1789–1832
- Geoffrey Chaucer – introductory and critical articles, translations, visual and auditory aids, and other resources pertaining to The Canterbury Tales
- Folger Digital Texts Shakespeare's Plays - Read or search plays including Hamlet, Henry V, Julius Caesar, King Lear and Macbeth.
- Poets.org – official website of The Academy of American Poets, offering essays and interviews, biographies, and poems.
Recommend a Web site – Do you know of a good Web site to add to our list?
Contact the library: 978.867.4339 | librarygordon.edu