You can use library electronic resources from any computer on or off campus. See a complete listing of electronic resources by name, provider, or subject. Databases covering biology are listed below.
BIOLOGY SPECIFIC DATABASES
- Agriculture Collection (Gale/Infotrac) - search a subset of Gale Academic OneFile journals and Delmar reference titles focused on agriculture and related fields.
- BioOne - search and browse bioscience research journals published by small societies and other not-for-profit organizations. BioOne is an initiative to provide access to journals focused on the biological, ecological, and environmental sciences.
- Environmental Studies and Policy Collection (Gale/Infotrac) - search a subset of Gale Academic OneFile journals and Delmar reference titles covering environmental issues and policies, including diverse perspectives from the scientific community, governmental policy makers, as well as corporate interests.
- Health and Wellness Resource Center (Gale/Infotrac) - authoritative medical information from reference titles, journals, pamphlets, and videos.
- Health Reference Center Academic (Gale/Infotrac) - nursing and allied health journals, plus personal health information sources
- Health Source - Consumer Edition (EBSCO) - consumer health articles and information
- Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition (EBSCO) - scholarly journals in many medical disciplines; includes medical dictionary
- Medline (EBSCO) - authoritative health and medical information
- Nursing and Allied Health Collection (Gale/Infotrac) - search a subset of Gale Academic OneFile journals covering nursing and allied health.
- Nursing Resource Center (Gale/Infotrac) - reference, periodical and multimedia content covering the field of nursing.
- PubMed Central - digital archive of journals in the life sciences
OTHER DATABASES COVERING BIOLOGY
- Academic OneFile (Gale/Infotrac) - scholarly database containing journals, podcasts, and transcripts
- Academic Search Premier (EBSCO) - scholarly database containing peer-reviewed journals
- General Reference Center Gold (Gale/Infotrac) - general interest newspapers, reference books, magazines, and trade publications
- General Science Collection (Gale/Infotrac) - search a subset of Gale Academic OneFile journals covering science, mathematics and technology.
- GreenFILE - scholarly, government and general-interest content on the environmental effects of individuals, corporations and local/national governments
- JSTOR - a collection of core scholarly journals, many going back to the first volume. Emphasis is on back issue coverage and does not include the current 3-5 years, unless Gordon has a current subscription to the journal. JSTOR provides long term preservation for journals.
- Oxford Reference Online - Find facts, figures, definitions, and more from over 175 Oxford reference titles. Coverage includes biology and the environment.
Please log out when you are finished searching. Our subscription allows one user at a time.
- PsycINFO (EBSCO) - index for psychology journals, books, etc. with links to many full text articles
- Sage Journals Online - a searchable collection of scholarly online journals published by Sage, covering many subject areas including life and biomedical studies
More electronic resources are available through Boston Public Library. However, you must first take a minute to sign up for a BPL eCard.
- Gordon's Periodical List is a complete list of all journals available through Jenks Library (full text in databases, online, and print).
- You can search for a journal title in Periodical List.
- You can also see subjects under the category of science in Periodical List. Click on a subject such as "Biology (General)", "Ecology", or "Genetics" to view the journals available.
- Print journals are located in the periodicals area on the 4th floor of Jenks. Please note that journals are arranged alphabetically by title, not by subject area.
BOOKS, DVDs, VIDEO, CDs
- Search the online catalog to find materials on topics in biology.
- If you want to browse the shelves, some biology related call numbers are:
QH Natural History & Biology
QM Human Anatomy, Physiology
SB Plant Culture
- Location Guide
- AGRICOLA - Bibliographic records of resources for agriculture and related disciplines.
- Environmental Protection Agency - Programs, publications, databases, laws and regulations
- Fish & Wildlife Service - portals to information on birds, contaminants, endangered species, fisheries, fishing, and more
- Genetics Education Center - For educators interested in human genetics and the human genome project
- MEDLINE - National Library of Medicine's premier bibliographic database covering the fields of medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, the health care system, and the pre-clinical sciences
- MEDLINE PLUS - Authoritative medical Information for the layperson from the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health.
- Mednar - Search for health information across databases not mined by other health search engines. Mednar also features a dependable email alert service.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) - a national resource for molecular biology information
- National Institutes of Health - News, scientific reports, and general health information
- National Library of Medicine - Health information, research programs and more
- National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution - Online exhibits in Anthropology, Botany, Entomology, Invertebrate Zoology, Mineral Sciences, Paleobiology, Vertebrate Zoology
- NatureServe - Information about rare and endangered species and threatened ecosystems
- NOAA Fisheries - Programs supporting the conservation and management of living marine resources
- Patuxent - Migratory bird research and more
- Plants Database - Information on plants in the United States and its territories, including species abstracts, crop information, plant symbols, and more.
- PubMed Central - Online journals in the life sciences
- PubMed Central Author Manuscripts - the final, peer reviewed manuscripts of many research articles funded by NIH (National Institute of Health)
- Science.gov - Gateway to reliable information about science and technology from across federal government organizations, including technical reports, journal citations, databases, federal Web sites and fact sheets.
- ScienceBlogs - a portal to the leading bloggers from a wide array of scientific disciplines.
- WorldWideScience.org - A global science gateway for federated searching of national and international scientific databases and portals
Recommend a Web site - Do you know of a good biology related Web site to add to our list?